The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I hate the one to be asking the question, as I am sure you guys get it a lot but you all seem very helpful...

I have been playing acoustic for a year or so but I would love to get my hands on an electric guitar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would a good make/model would be? I would like to keep it under $400 if possible. I am interested in playing rock maybe a bit of metal music, if that info is helpful at all...

I have been searching around but I really don't know what I should be looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I personally think Godin are the best value out there. By their looks aren't for everyone, and that is a factor when buying a guitar.

While I never thought of them much, I bought my first Ibanez a few years ago and they are fantastic quality for the price. I owned one of the Ax series, which looks sort of like a Gibson SG, and it was a great guitar.

Is there any type of guitar that you like the look of?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
There are lots of good entry level guitars available now. The best of course is to try a few, but that's pretty hard to do if you don't know what you're looking for.

I tried one of the Pacifica's like Brian is selling quite some time ago. I thought they were really good for the $.

If you're looking for more in the LP style, have a look at Tokai's (I think there's a dealer on here?), Agiles and Epis.

And I'd suggest looking for a good used one to save a buck.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I like ibanez, but i haven't had much experience with their lower-end guitars. $400 could get you a pretty good used guitar.

I've also got an Epiphone LP-100 for sale. $200
PM/Email for more information and pics.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Xanadu said:
I like ibanez, but i haven't had much experience with their lower-end guitars. $400 could get you a pretty good used guitar.
Ya that's the thing that makes it hard to recommend something. Buying new, there are some decent guitars out there for $400. And when you get into used guitars, there is a ton of choice.

·
Registered
874 Posts
+1 on the Godin...great value and made in Canada.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
My favourite guitar is one that a friend recommended when he heard me play it. We had gone to our local music store to try out some new guitars, and we were just sitting around talking and picking, when he told me that when I was playing one particular guitar my playing was smoother and more articulate, He said it was "my" guitar, so i bought it. Sure enough he was right: of all my guitars it is the one I like to play the most, with the least effort, and the one I keep plugged into my main amplifier. Don't worry about the brand on the headstock; get the guitar that makes you play, and want to play, better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts