The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'd go with Canon or Nikon, lots of lens options for both .

I'm not up on models/pricing these days but a Canon Rebel should be in that range

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
with dslr / mirrorless you are kind of "buying into the system".
So if you want better answers (I would gladly help as much as needed), you first have to answer couple of Qs
1. what is most important - size, easy of use, pic quality etc
2. what is initial budget and what is the total budget over some time
3. most important question - what is the purpose of camera - landscape, action, sport, wildlife. Images taken mostly on day or night - in good light or in bad?

do you want to work on photos afterwards on the computer - or would like as best out of the camera without any "post processing" after all

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
This thread is timely as one of my bandmates is looking for a used DSLR to learn with while on tour.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Let me know the answers to those questions and I will explain you what to look for and then we can pick proper components for that purpose:
3. most important question - what is the purpose of camera - landscape, action, sport, wildlife. Images taken mostly on day or night - in good light or in bad?

basically today - any dslr / mirrorless camera - if you know how to use it - will deliver great results

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This thread is timely as one of my bandmates is looking for a used DSLR to learn with while on tour.
Also if you / him wants hands on (or easier via email) help / explanation how / what / when, I would gladly help.
We can meet up on one of your rehearsals and chat during break / before / after

·
Premium Member
18,551 Posts
Also if you / him wants hands on (or easier via email) help / explanation how / what / when, I would gladly help.
We can meet up on one of your rehearsals and chat during break / before / after
I will let him know. "We" have a DSLR but I'm not allowed to really mess with it haha.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just to be different I have a Pentax K5 II that I really like. It is my first DSLR and it is all the camera I will ever need. They have come down quite a bit in price since I bought mine so you can probably find a pretty good deal.

There are a lot of older manual focus lenses that work with it as well as newer autofocus ones. Image stabilization is in the camera so that works for the older lenses. There is a new type of lens that they make now that I hear does not work with my K5 but there are a lot of lenses out there that still do.

·
Premium Member
13,350 Posts
A used Nikon D3300 with an 18-55 lens should well into your budget with bit of $$ leftover. I've seen them listed on Kijiji from $325 to $460

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
I agree with Robert1950, a Nikon 3300 will get you started. I have a DLSR but mostly use a Nikon 1 J5 mirrorless as it is a lot lighter to carry around specially on trips. I used to carry my DSLR for our holidays and stuff, but it became unwieldy after awhile having to carry all that gear.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,414 Posts
After I finished at OCA I had a studio at Richmond and Spadina for 10 years did mainly advertising photography using Sinar 4x5, Blad 2&1/4 and Canon for 35. Then my career took a right turn which required going back to school for 7 years but these days it’s hard to beat my iPhone camera for everyday stuff.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you made any decisions?
It looks like a got a little sidetracked and missed some sales on the two cameras recommended, which is what I was considering anyway.

No biggy, and thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I've been a little busy, but I'll probably have some further questions in the next few days.

Feel free to make some more suggestions and I'll get back to you guys.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with dslr / mirrorless you are kind of "buying into the system".
So if you want better answers (I would gladly help as much as needed), you first have to answer couple of Qs

do you want to work on photos afterwards on the computer - or would like as best out of the camera without any "post processing" after all
I definitely want something relatively simple and easy to use. I don't need every bell and whistle; just something that does a good job, isn't overly complicated, and not huge, even though DSLR's and mirrorless are bigger. I'm ok with up to $500 or, but less than that is always better.

I'm inexperienced, but probably lower light, doing street photography and while killing time in the city. I'm not into sports, so action shots aren't a concern for me. I do want to do black and white though, is RAW necessary?

I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I definitely want something relatively simple and easy to use. I don't need every bell and whistle; just something that does a good job, isn't overly complicated, and not huge, even though DSLR's and mirrorless are bigger. I'm ok with up to $500 or, but less than that is always better.

I'm inexperienced, but probably lower light, doing street photography and while killing time in the city. I'm not into sports, so action shots aren't a concern for me. I do want to do black and white though, is RAW necessary?

I hope this makes things a bit clearer.
Butter for what you are going to use it for, something like this may be a better fit for you. It's not a DSLR but it has a 50X optical zoom and is not as bulky as an SLR. It will take excellent pictures for what you are wanting it for and more.

Sony DSCHX350/B 20.4MP 50x Optical Zoom Compact Camera - Black - Open Box

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Butter for what you are going to use it for, something like this may be a better fit for you. It's not a DSLR but it has a 50X optical zoom and is not as bulky as an SLR. It will take excellent pictures for what you are wanting it for and more.
And what's that?

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
And what's that?
Adding the link is so much better than keeping someone guessing, isn't it? Sorry about that. I edited the post with the link.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts