The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an RP50 that i have to use through a bass amp and i really dislike how the amp models on it sound. are there any good distortion pedals that have a 60's 70's sound someone could reccomend me? forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this and for my lack of knowledge on pedals.

I

·
0 Posts
The Fulltone '69 and '70 pedals are two well regarded fuzz pedals that really try and capture a sound from a particular point in time. If it's a bass amp (assuming it's tube like a Bassman) you could go the tried-and-true guitar -> TS-808 -> bass amp route.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Fulltone '69 and '70 pedals are two well regarded fuzz pedals that really try and capture a sound from a particular point in time. If it's a bass amp (assuming it's tube like a Bassman) you could go the tried-and-true guitar -> TS-808 -> bass amp route.
its a solid state. i dont know if im really going for a fuzz tone sound, something more along the lines of pete townshends guitar tone.

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
check out the subdecay stupid box

also, you maay want to consider upgrading the amp or the fx pedal :)

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
my amps good. its clear and has fine tone, it just doesn't like distortion at all.
Those with far greater amp-knowledge will probably chime in with a better explanation, but the short of it is: some amps hate pedals. They might have a great clean but you just can't get anything else out of them.

I had heard my amp took pedals well, but it wasn't until I got to try it that I had to sigh with relief.

Upgrading your amp might be a step on the path to great distortion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those with far greater amp-knowledge will probably chime in with a better explanation, but the short of it is: some amps hate pedals. They might have a great clean but you just can't get anything else out of them.

I had heard my amp took pedals well, but it wasn't until I got to try it that I had to sigh with relief.

Upgrading your amp might be a step on the path to great distortion.
yeah, i will admit i dont know alot about amps. i know what sounds good, ive just never had the need for using an amp besides a little practice amp, ive done alot of recording aswell so i know about toneality, but as far as knowledge about amps go, its very limited.

·
Registered
349 Posts
solid state sounds a bit constrained to me BUT is great for raging metal- anything thrash, speed, death metal etc.. for what you want, I would say open it up with tubes of some type. Then you might find that pedals you thought were not that great suddenly sound better. What bands from the 60's and 70's do you want? Aeorosmith, Alice Cooper style or are we talking more Hendrix?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I like my Big Muff Pi.

I just ordered a Metal Muff (the big 6 button one). I was shopping around for a more modern sounding distortion pedal when I found out about it. That should keep me busy for a while.

There's a guy on ebay that ships EH pedals free around the world, and his prices are lower than the other sellers. That's who I ordered my MM from yesterday. I got my BM Pi from him a few years ago.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like my Big Muff Pi.

I just ordered a Metal Muff (the big 6 button one). I was shopping around for a more modern sounding distortion pedal when I found out about it. That should keep me busy for a while.

There's a guy on ebay that ships EH pedals free around the world, and his prices are lower than the other sellers. That's who I ordered my MM from yesterday. I got my BM Pi from him a few years ago.
who is this seller?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
solid state sounds a bit constrained to me BUT is great for raging metal- anything thrash, speed, death metal etc.. for what you want, I would say open it up with tubes of some type. Then you might find that pedals you thought were not that great suddenly sound better. What bands from the 60's and 70's do you want? Aeorosmith, Alice Cooper style or are we talking more Hendrix?
more around hendrix.

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
i'd just like to pipe up and say that SS sounds like crap for metal, unless you're going for DBD buzzsaw "tone".

a big muff or a dallas arbiter fuzzface clone sounds like a good idea

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Man, I think about two people read your post and the others just started saying pedals; he doesn't want fuzz or metal guys :wave:

Hendrix and Townsend didn't use a ton of distortion by todays stardards and you are never really going to nail their sound with a SS amp.

However, you can get in that ballpark and get some cool tones to boot. Hendrix played Marshalls and, depending on what era of Townsend you are into, Townsend player Hi-watts or Marshalls.

I'd do this. First start with a tube screamer type pedal. Not exactly Hendrix or Townsend but you have heard this tone a million times. Grab an inexpensive one like a Danelectro Fab Overdrive ($15), Arion Tubulator ($17) or A Digitech Bad Monkey. All of them get great reviews and are much cheaper than getting an Ibanez.

Second, try to get a pedal that emulates a Marshall Plexi. Indy guitarist has one that I've heard a few guys rave about; the sound clips sound cool too. I believe the Fulltone OCD is kind of like a Marshall JTM 45 but it is $$

Lastly, if you want to get even closer save your pennies for a bit and buy an old Traynor or Garnet tube amp. A 50 watt head will put you in similar sonic territory but they are LOUD (like stupid loud). Look into a small combo running two 6V6s or EL 84s (bassmates, guitarmates, rebels) and your guitar's volume knob will soon be the best distortion pedal you have ever heard :)

TG

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I think about two people read your post and the others just started saying pedals; he doesn't want fuzz or metal guys :wave:

Hendrix and Townsend didn't use a ton of distortion by todays stardards and you are never really going to nail their sound with a SS amp.

However, you can get in that ballpark and get some cool tones to boot. Hendrix played Marshalls and, depending on what era of Townsend you are into, Townsend player Hi-watts or Marshalls.

I'd do this. First start with a tube screamer type pedal. Not exactly Hendrix or Townsend but you have heard this tone a million times. Grab an inexpensive one like a Danelectro Fab Overdrive ($15), Arion Tubulator ($17) or A Digitech Bad Monkey. All of them get great reviews and are much cheaper than getting an Ibanez.

Second, try to get a pedal that emulates a Marshall Plexi. Indy guitarist has one that I've heard a few guys rave about; the sound clips sound cool too. I believe the Fulltone OCD is kind of like a Marshall JTM 45 but it is $$

Lastly, if you want to get even closer save your pennies for a bit and buy an old Traynor or Garnet tube amp. A 50 watt head will put you in similar sonic territory but they are LOUD (like stupid loud). Look into a small combo running two 6V6s or EL 84s (bassmates, guitarmates, rebels) and your guitar's volume knob will soon be the best distortion pedal you have ever heard :)

TG
would you be able to get the name of the pedal that emulates a marshall amp please? i couldnt find it. im going to get the fab overdrive tomorrow considering i have 15 dollars i dont need and would you anyone be able to reccomend a nice cheap 50-60 watt guitar amp that would play the kind of tone im looking for? i need one because im tired of lugging around my large bass amp.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts