The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience or thoughts with these pickups? Like - not like. Reasons?

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Here are a couple of YouTubes. There appears to be two types. Gold foil alnico and gold foil ferrite magnets (ceramic?)The Alnico are warmer sounding and the Ferrite are brighter to my ear. I prefer the Alnico sound myself

Not sure which one this is...

Reactions: Steadfastly

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple of YouTubes. There appears to be two types. Gold foil alnico and gold foil ferrite magnets (ceramic?)The Alnico are warmer sounding and the Ferrite are brighter to my ear. I prefer the Alnico sound myself

Not sure which one this is...
Thanks, Robert: Have you ever had them in a guitar? BTW, I only used the GFS pic because it was the most convenient to copy.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
No experience. You are more likely to find someone in one of the US based forums

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I had a 60's Harmony Rocket with a Dearmond mustache gold foil pickup. It had a unique, very cool sound but that sound was it, only the one sound. It was so microphonic you could play a drum line with the pick on the guitar body. Playing at gig levels was almost impossible. You had to be careful where you stood in relation to the amp. As I said it had a very cool tone but eventually I got tired of how cantankerous it was and moved it along. It may have worked better on a solid body. I'm glad I owned it and recommend everyone try one at some point on their musical journey.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I worked on a '64 Harmony Rocket a while back. I loved the gold foil pickups in it. I check out the sound at about the 27 minute mark.....Yeah, I know, my playing sucks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts