The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I played a godin summit classic convertible ct through an origin 20. Really not sure what I was checked ng out more, the amp or guitar. Any thought on the pickups? Seemed pretty nice but I’m not much for playing loud in a store.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have only ever played a handful of Godin guitars. Personally have had more misses than hits. I believe that this was the first LP style that I played. Felt good to me. Mind you I’m not too fussy on necks. A bad set up will turn me off a guitar. I like to play it and like it and not worry about tweaking it.

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
Forum member Sulphur swapped me a pair of P-rails for a pedal, and I installed them on a Wilshire body. Because the Wilshire provides less separation between the neck and bridge pickups (similar to what happens with the SG), I flipped the pickups around, such that the "thin" coil (the rail part) was closest to the fingerboard and bridge, for maximum separation between them. Where the form-factor permits more space between neck and bridge, the "normal" setup, with the thinner coils facing inward, is probably fine. I also installed a 3-way toggle for each pickup to get each of the three possibilities. I've never played the guitar loud (where subtleties can often disappear), but at modest volumes they sound decent and provide a broad tonal palette with lots of flexibility. Folks who have played it remarked on how many different sounds could be achieved quite easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Love the Godin necks... both the thicker neck on my LGX-SA and the slightly thinner one on the passion RG3. Haven't played any of the Summits with p-rails in them, but am thinking about getting them for the LGX-SA, and all the forum threads I've read elsewhere seem pretty positive.

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Big Godin fanboy here, but never tried P-Rails in one. Sounds like a good idea. Among others, I have two LG models, one with P-90s and one with Godin's humbuckers. Maybe a P-Rail equipped one would straddle the two models nicely.

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
Just a tech-note....

The most common method of coil-cancelling tends to be grounding the mid-point between the two coils in series. But simply straddling the coil with a straight-wire jumper does the same thing. So what I do/did is connect the junction between the two coils to the common (middle lug) of the toggle switch, and connect the outside switch lugs to the other end of each coil. That way you get one coil, both coils, and the "other" coil in the three toggle positions. Personally, I far prefer this to using push-pull pots.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
That Epi is gorgeous. I love how they set up the p rails. I didn't know that was possible. I thought you had to control them one at a time with the pickup rings. I actually watched the videos for this build.

Reactions: fretzel

·
Registered
15,914 Posts
I love P-Rails.
They are versatile and work well for a variety of things.
When I modded my Les Paul copy I got a great price on a P-Rail & put it in the neck position (With a JB in the bridge)
I use it for open G--mostly for slide.
And it works great for slide.
The P-90 setting gives a bit of a growl, but also has smoothies, if that makes sense.
The Rail is better than I anticipated--it has a nice trebly bit to it.
Even with he neck position anreven with the tone down.
And together the mismatched coils hum bucking just give it some nice body.
All of them work for slide.
I have had it in standard tuning & it sounds great that way as well.
I am tempted to get one for my Les Paul--which had the previous owner change the stock pickups & I put a Duncan Distortion pick up (Neck one)
I like that one as well, but as I age I like the P-90 more & more--so a P-rail to keep a hum bucker option open would be nice.

They work well with hum buckers.
Using my P-90 with the JB gives a lot of body and I love it.

if P-Rails were a concern--go for it.

Reactions: fretzel

·
Registered
662 Posts
Never played a Godin with the P-rails, but I’ve always wanted to put a bridge p-rail in my Melody Maker V. Just never got around to it, since I happen to like the stock pickup. Demos I’ve heard have sounded great.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Had one in the bridge position of a Squier Pawn Shop 51 & didn’t like it. The single coil mode was too icepicky & the P-90 mode didn’t have the same « bark » as a proper soapbar. IME it was a jack of all trades, master of none. But I generally don’t like the tone from coil taps & have the luxury of owning several guitars, so I can understand the appeal if you only have one electric guitar.

It might also work better in the neck position and/or a darker guitar. What tore my head off in the bridge of a T-style guitar might be the right amount of clarity in the neck position an axe that’s more in the LP camp.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Had one in the bridge position of a Squier Pawn Shop 51 & didn’t like it. The single coil mode was too icepicky & the P-90 mode didn’t have the same « bark » as a proper soapbar. IME it was a jack of all trades, master of none. But I generally don’t like the tone from coil taps & have the luxury of owning several guitars, so I can understand the appeal if you only have one electric guitar.

It might also work better in the neck position and/or a darker guitar. What tore my head off in the bridge of a T-style guitar might be the right amount of clarity in the neck position an axe that’s more in the LP camp.
That's what I was worried about with them. My 335 was going to get a set, until I won that set of Sigils.

I, too, don't care for coil splitting options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts