The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the general consensus on this guitar?

Same price range as a LP Studio, but appears to have a lot more going for it feature/appointment wise. I like the Made in Canada aspect. I'm going to play one next time I'm in the city, but are there any common quality issues with this model.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My take.... If the Godins had beefier more 50's Gibson necks I'd be all over it. The workmanship is great and I have a few Godins (Artisan Strat and LG p90) but they just sit... because the necks and I cannot bond.
Nothing wrong with the hardware nor the electronics. And yes compared to a studio- very equal except perhaps more tricked out.
Resale value is always a problem though because people employ magical thinking when buying. "yeah but its not a Gibson..." As if there is some magical ingredient in a factory

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree Lance T
Its silly. I have great admiration for the Godin brand and the business model too- Uses indigenous woods from fallen trees and employs folks who made it out of prison sometimes. Plus Robert Godin is bold enough to not just copy... he designs his own way.
So hence my comment about magical thinking - if the guitar is well made and you put it up against another well made American one and you close your eyes - you'd have very little idea which one is being played. They will sound different- but neither better than the other.
So in most cases I put it down to sentiment

And again- I love my Les Paul Studio- make no mistake. Its just that I also have a Yamaha Studio Lord that I think sounds nicer to my ears and plays any day as well or better. I also once had a Gold LG p90 with a uniquely beefy neck and sold it because I needed cash. That one I still regret.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
My take.... If the Godins had beefier more 50's Gibson necks I'd be all over it. The workmanship is great and I have a few Godins (Artisan Strat and LG p90) but they just sit... because the necks and I cannot bond.
Nothing wrong with the hardware nor the electronics. And yes compared to a studio- very equal except perhaps more tricked out.
Resale value is always a problem though because people employ magical thinking when buying. "yeah but its not a Gibson..." As if there is some magical ingredient in a factory
Markus has a "great take" in my opinion. I happen to like Godin necks, likely because my first guitar was an S & P (Godin). If you like that style neck, you'll probably like the guitar.

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
I have the lawsuit Core P90. (Shape was too close to LP, so they slightly changed it.) It sits beside custom-made guitars "worth" three times as much. I have no problem reaching for it when I need a short-scale neck or the P90 sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts