The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do some Godin guitars hold their value better than others? which ones? which ones take a bigger hit and are cheaper to buy used?

·
Registered
90 Posts
It depends on the model you have. Multiac series, Acousticaster, 5th Avenue (KingPin, Jazz), Montreal, Montreal Premiere and LGXT normally have a good resale value. Older model like the Artisan ST-I signature and TC-I signature in very good condition are getting difficult to find and their resale value seems to get higher every year. As for the ones that are cheap to buy right now, the LG, SD, Detour, Freeway Classic and some of the old G series (1000). Hope that will help you in your research.

As for Gibson or Fender, do the test, go buy a beautiful Fender Custom Shop at 4000$ and in two years from now, try to sale it above 2900$... good luck.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
My two personal experiences. I bought a core ct p90 new for $895 and sold it a year later for $650 on kijiji ( i regret selling that one). It sold in less than a week at that price.

I bought a kingpin II for $650 used and traded it in at Long and McQuade for $600. They are ~$950 new.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
Great guitars, but their resale is laughable. I’d never buy one to make money, that’s for sure.

A blast to play though, and cheap used ;)

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Great quality, North American made instruments. Many years back I used to own a SD24 with this beautiful birdseye ,vintage tint maple neck. Eventually I couldn't get along with the short 24.75 scale/24 frets though. Buy used if you need a backup, but also a tremendous quality beginner guitar for new players.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Kijiji should have some kind of auto-fill of 100$ whenever "Godin" is typed into the title. It would de-clutter Kijiji a lot.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Kijiji should have some kind of auto-fill of 100$ whenever "Godin" is typed into the title. It would de-clutter Kijiji a lot.
I would be buying a lot of Godins if they were only $100.00.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently, (6 months ago) sold Godin Artisan ST-1 circa 1993 for $444 bought it 3 yrs before that for $320. These are killer Strats. I also have 2007 Godin lg p90 these are well made workhorses but always worth 250 or less on Kijiji. I think they retailed at 650-700 new.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Reduced Godin 5th ave Kingpin archtop with single P90 pickup
This guitar sell new for $700+.

Godin makes good guitars, no doubt.
There will always be examples of people reselling Godins and getting good money for them. They are not the norm.
Don't buy a Godin unless you plan to keep it.
That is a very good price, the best I've seen for that model.

I bought a 5th Avenue Kingpin II about 5 years ago for $600.00 and sold it last year for $650.00. That is pretty normal pricing for a used guitar which is a little more than 1/2 price of new.

From what I've seen, their hollow body guitars have decent resale value but some of the less expensive models don't do so well in holding resale value.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Godin has some beautiful Les Paul style guitars in their lineup too; even a model that might satisfy some of the guys looking for a singlecut LP junior.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts