The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. With the holidays approaching, I am on the hunt for a backup electric guitar. After eeding to turn in my Godin LGX-SA for repairs during the summer and being stuck without an electric until just before a gig I decided not to cut it so fine and fork ou the money for a backup. I am currently debating between the Godin Progression Plus and the Godin Passion rg3. I'm looking for a single coil this time around, to provide an alternate to the amazing humbuckers on the lgx-SA. Has anyone played either one or both of these? What are thoughts and recommendations? The Passion rg3 is the more expensive of the two, so I assume that says something. There was a factory second from Long and Mcquade on sale for $850 (even cheaper than the brand new progression plus at $995), and I took too long to decide.. so someone got to it first! I'm still kicking myself over that. Any thoughts are appreciated! I have become a huge fan of Godin guitars in the last few years after owning both a Seagull and what may be one of their flagship guitars with the lgx-SA. They are definitely an underappreciated name!

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
Personally I would get a Progression given that choice--as it would be more different than what I have--but eitehr one would be a fine addition...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you currently have? Either choice I make will be good since I don't have any single coil strat style guitars at the moment. Curious to see what others have to say.

·
Premium Member
16,837 Posts
Why not another LGX? If you want a backup for gigging, and you usually use 1 guitar for the whole set, you may not want your backup guitar sounding drastically different.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I'm with budda.
I always used guitars with humbuckers and for some reason I got a prs se with p90s as my backup and I never liked the sound because it was so different.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Do you play original material or covers?

If original, you can do whatever you want to a song.

If covers, you need to know that your gear will do a creditable job with the new guitar. From my experience, after a few drinks the crowd will accept any version that they can recognize.

Anyway, I support the idea of a different guitar for a second guitar. I use humbuckers with coil taps, single coils with tapped HB at bridge and also P90's. So you really need THREE guitars!!! Lol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A backup is only partially why I want to get one of these two.. I also just want a single coil guitar for the different set of tones I can get. I don't play original material, because I can't write to save my life. But I do play in church, which I suppose equates to being a cover player... and depending on style and the particular set of songs, having a different guitar would do well to expand my tonal range. Would also be handy for recording, as when I do record, mostly on my own at home, it tends to be covers as well.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would equate playing in church to original.

You are not copying a recording (I presume), and so, you are free to choose the sounds that are suited to the song, the arrangement, the audience and the other musicians.

BTW, I too am impressed with the value of Godin guitars. I have the Core P90 -- and have no problem setting aside a custom-built Fury when I need to use the Godin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, we do try and stick to the recordings as much as we can when possible. I'm not the worship leader, but our church is big enough to have a full band, so we generally play as close to the sound of the original as possible. Also just depends on the church I play at. I did play the p90 once, and I liked it... it was just out of my budget at the time. I'm just debating whether to get the progression, or save up for the rg3 though from other guitarists I know who have looked at it, they think $1900 is a little much if I can get a similar for pretty mch a $1000 cheaper and from the limited info is still a guitar more than worth that much. Surprised noone else has chimed in who actually ones either of these, though... and as a side note, that HDR has impressed me every time I have had a chance to try it out.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You need to A/B the two at the same time in the same place. If there is no significant difference save the money. It can be simple as that. I know lots if great players who own cheaper guitars.

Sorry I can't help, but I will be watching with interest to see what the guys say...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any input at all is helpful! I do plan to a/b them as soon as I can, unfortunately my local L and M only has one progression in stock and no passion rg3's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going in to my closest L and M today, and will probably a/b a progression and a strat. Might try the session custom as well, though I've never been much of a fan of the H/S configuration. I tried the regular session as well, just didn't sing as well as I would like... and there's no hdr in it, of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all. With the holidays approaching, I am on the hunt for a backup electric guitar. After eeding to turn in my Godin LGX-SA for repairs during the summer and being stuck without an electric until just before a gig I decided not to cut it so fine and fork ou the money for a backup. I am currently debating between the Godin Progression Plus and the Godin Passion rg3. I'm looking for a single coil this time around, to provide an alternate to the amazing humbuckers on the lgx-SA. Has anyone played either one or both of these? What are thoughts and recommendations? The Passion rg3 is the more expensive of the two, so I assume that says something. There was a factory second from Long and Mcquade on sale for $850 (even cheaper than the brand new progression plus at $995), and I took too long to decide.. so someone got to it first! I'm still kicking myself over that. Any thoughts are appreciated! I have become a huge fan of Godin guitars in the last few years after owning both a Seagull and what may be one of their flagship guitars with the lgx-SA. They are definitely an underappreciated name!
I got one of those factory seconds from L&M. It had a few surface scratches you had to look to find. There was also a little ding on the fret board. One of the wooden covers on the back was a bit rough cut and was poorly panted on the sides of it. Haven't had a chance to play it yet as I just moved and amp is kind of hard to get to. Also didn't have long to look at it as I'm working out of town and I was just home for the weekend and it was a busy one. Will give it a good once over this weekend. Big concern with it though is there was no certification with it and it was an 08 model. Godin tells me it sat in the warehouse till Nov 1 of this year when L&M bought it. I don't know how many they bought. I can't understand how they had it sit around for 10 years. Still waiting for a reply from both L&M and Godin about the certs and it being an 08 model. Does seem like a nice guitar. Very light. I'll try to let you know how I make out with it

·
Registered
917 Posts
I got one of those factory seconds from L&M. It had a few surface scratches you had to look to find. There was also a little ding on the fret board. One of the wooden covers on the back was a bit rough cut and was poorly panted on the sides of it. Haven't had a chance to play it yet as I just moved and amp is kind of hard to get to. Also didn't have long to look at it as I'm working out of town and I was just home for the weekend and it was a busy one. Will give it a good once over this weekend. Big concern with it though is there was no certification with it and it was an 08 model. Godin tells me it sat in the warehouse till Nov 1 of this year when L&M bought it. I don't know how many they bought. I can't understand how they had it sit around for 10 years. Still waiting for a reply from both L&M and Godin about the certs and it being an 08 model. Does seem like a nice guitar. Very light. I'll try to let you know how I make out with it
You’ve got lots of time for moving, we want pics of the guitar! No more excuses, come on now!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Impressions would be welcome! I was wondering about that, if it was the same factory second I saw. The fact that it's a 08 model would explain the price drop to $850. Crazy... can't wait to hear what you think!

·
Registered
23 Posts
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Is it the Progression or the Passion?
It was the Passion RG 3.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts