• I hate godins!

Votes: 26 7.0%
  • I have no need for a Godin.

Votes: 15 4.1%
1 - 20 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I like the design of the Godin Montreal and the Flat-Five. I've tried them in the stores on a few occasions. They sound good but the neck just doesn't feel right. They play like Fenders and I'm a Gibson man :smile:

I've had the chance to meet Robert Godin a couple of times and attended some of his clinics. Fascinating man with an encyclopedic knowledge of guitar making.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd have to agree with ^^^. The necks just don't cut it for me. Factory setup might be the problem but the action is too low for me and feels flat.

Nice axes, not my slice of pie.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Necks feel great to me. Fit and finish is very good. I think Godins are tremendous value for the money. I have a maple fretboard Exit 22, a crazy yellow Radiator and a beat-up LG HB... all of them are real players. Nor am I likely to stop collecting them... LOL

The thing is, appearance-wise, once upon a time I used to hate the Godin profile... I used to find it terribly ugly,espcially next to the iconic shape of a Strat or a Tele or an SG or a Les Paul... but nowadays I really appreciate them and see them as a class of their own. My Exit 22 is one of my all-time favourite guitars to play.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see where some Les Paul players might find the Godin necks a bit uncomfortable.

Personally, I like the Godin profile- I recently tried out a Velocity and found the neck to be ridiculously fast and smooth. It has a slight contour which fits my hand perfectly. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've got two LG's one HMB and one P90, love them both. I don't find a problem going from my LP's to the Godins. I want to add a Radiator and a Solidac into the fold sometime too. A good friend of mine has an Artisan ST and it is one fantastic guitar to play. I forgot to add my Seagull S6+ into here as well.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I see on the Crossroads 2007 DVD that John Mclaughlin was using a Freeway model and getting some real nice tones. Usually he is playing some sort of custom build guitar but this one looked like it was stock.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had never heard or played a Godin prior to buying one. In fact, I was just about to plunk my money down on a Thinline Tele with HB's, when on that day, a new shipment of Godins were being unpacked at the store. I was looking for an all around guitar for both jazz and blues at the time.

The LG Signature fit me like a glove and was set up beautifully from the factory. I loved everything about it, especially the wide tonal characteristics. Very versatile. There was nothing wrong with the Tele, but you know that feeling when someting is just right for you.

The added bonus is that the gig bag that comes with it is of excellent quality.

Lawrie

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Have owned several, acoustics, electrics, and basses.

Currently play a Godin LG with humbuckers and coil taps, a very versatile and toneful axe. Also have a Godin Freeway 5 string fretless bass which is my first call bass.

I want a Godin electric mandolin.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
My Artisan TC gets used more than any of the other guitars I've got. No issues with the build quality of the guitar. If anything, some punchier pickups might hit the spot with it.

Wish they still made them, I'd grab another couple in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...just picked up a (discontinued) A6, an acoustic/electric.

i want one of their p90 electrics, and soon.

i'm also curious to see what they're introducing at namm.

-dh

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
David, for info on Godin's offerings at NAMM, check this out. A revamp of the LG series and a brand new guitar.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
I owned an LGXT for a number of years. It was the two-voice with maple body and three SD Duckbuckers. I used that guitar exclusively for about 5 years. It was great to switch between the acoustic and mag pickups. Nice hardware, a very flat radius (16") and the best tremelo bridge I've used (LR Baggs).

I sold it to my other guitar player so I still get to see it every week.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yeah, me too. I'm especially digging the blonde one demoed on the right... wowsers. But I hear Godin is also releasing a new archtop called the 5th Avenue... these guys have a lot of energy.

Allthumbs, is the LR Baggs standard on their trem-equipped guitars? I would like to get one to whammy with but I don't want a FR-type.

1 - 20 of 366 Posts