The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become interested in Godin guitars since visiting this site and it seems you get a lot of guitar for the money.

I was reading the stuff about the Godin Freeway on the the archived Musician's Friend page and they seemed interesting, but it was an HSS. As fate would have it, I saw one on my local CL, and it is an HH with EMG 81s.

Godin Freeway EMG (price drop)

I would be dead chuffed for some input on these. ;-) Thx.

Reactions: Todd MacCulloch

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’ve never played the Freeway before, but it has a lot of similarities to my Velocity.

It looks like the main difference is my velocity has hss and a trem, and the freeway has EMGs and a hardtail. Other than that, they have the same body cuts, and I’d wager probably the same neck profile.

If that’s the case, it’s a very comfortable modern strat neck with a flat fretboard; I can’t remember if it’s 12 or 16.

I love my Godin. Bought it on a whim last February and after a rocky start, I’m still happily playing it. $450 is a fair price if it’s clean and in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Good guitars, terrible resale.
the general consensus on here SEEMS to be, a great amount of guitar for the money but small necks.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I had a really nice Godin LG Signature. In an attempt to downsize, I gave it to a friend who expressed interest in buying it from me. I am sure that I could have recouped my investment, but giving it to him had greater personal satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Good guitars, not for everybody.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Registered
662 Posts
As long as you can get on with the neck profile, used Godins are a great value. I paid $350 for mine, and it’s a lot of guitar for that price.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I find it funny Godin calls that model a Freeway. All of the other Freeway models have an HSH pickup layout, and a trem. What that guitar actually is is a Detour with EMGs.

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
I find it funny Godin calls that model a Freeway. All of the other Freeway models have an HSH pickup layout, and a trem. What that guitar actually is is a Detour with EMGs.
I always forget there's a Freeway guitar as I always think bass. Witness my Freeway 5, a PJ sort of thing with a flame maple top, and pulled frets, The machine heads, string trees, extra strap button, ebony knobs, aren't original, but the electronics are stock. Still my favourite bass.

IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0190.jpg

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I have become interested in Godin guitars since visiting this site and it seems you get a lot of guitar for the money.

I was reading the stuff about the Godin Freeway on the the archived Musician's Friend page and they seemed interesting, but it was an HSS. As fate would have it, I saw one on my local CL, and it is an HH with EMG 81s.

Godin Freeway EMG (price drop)

I would be dead chuffed for some input on these. ;-) Thx.
My friend had one of these (think it had a trem) and it was the guitar that got me into Godins. It's really nice. I like the neck profile, but that's always personal choice. Fit and finish is excellent, as per usual Godin standards. Usual criticism of their guitars is the pickups are lifeless, but if you're going for EMGs, you know what you're getting there. My friend kept trying to sell it to me, and I kept resisting. I regret that now!

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A lot to parse out...many thanks to those who took the time to reply.

@Ronbeast @aC2rs @_Azrael @Mooh @DeeTee Thanks for the endorsements.

@RBlakeney @Ronbeast Thanks for weighing in on the price point for these. I would assume the price is higher than $350.00 with case?

@Tone Chaser: Respect.

@Budda Thanks. I guess you are referring to the necks.

@mud_guy That is nice looking. I have never seen pickups like that before.

@mud_guy @DeeTee Regarding the EMGs. Yeah, I figured the pickups are worth $200.00.

@Merlin Could it be the owner has the model wrong?

Lots to think about. Thanks gang.

·
Registered
662 Posts
@Rozz I paid $350+tax on mine, so it came to around $400 with the Godin gig bag included. The guitar is in basically brand new condition, as well as the case and accessories.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
@Merlin Could it be the owner has the model wrong?
Nope, that's correct. Godin probably saw the Freeway series as more popular, and wanted to get rid of some of the Detour bodies. The Redline I was made from the same body, and had one EMG instead of two. Similar re-designation of an existing model.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Rozz I paid $350+tax on mine, so it came to around $400 with the Godin gig bag included. The guitar is in basically brand new condition, as well as the case and accessories.
Awesome, thanks for the follow-up. That is super cheap.

Reactions: Ronbeast

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, that's correct. Godin probably saw the Freeway series as more popular, and wanted to get rid of some of the Detour bodies. The Redline I was made from the same body, and had one EMG instead of two. Similar re-designation of an existing model.
Thanks for the great insight, nice to get that cleared up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Freeway is a great guitar -- super fast neck, lightweight. I had one but it went in a trade deal -- now regret it...

If you have one, do look under the control 'hood' -- mine had a silver shield paint coat that was almost as good as copper shielding. However, the tone pot was linear taper 500K with a .033 cap that made it essentially useless -- this appeared to be factory OEM given no resoldering evident. It was promptly replaced with an audio taper pot that brought things back to life! Also the HBs were two conductor wiring , so no coil splitting...

I'd buy another if the opportunity came up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts