The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This pedal can produce tremolo sounds from percussive to smooth. The MGK’s LFO generation consists of two stages, each with a range of multiplier values and waveform selection (sine, up ramp, down ramp, long square and pulse). The two stages can be run in one of four modes:

1. Sequential: The two stages are run one after the other
  2. Composite: The two stages are run simultaneously and the effective waveform is a polyrhythmic composite of the two.
  3. Modulation: The two stages are run simultaneously and the second waveform modulates the first waveform.
  4. Single: First stage only for classic tremolo.

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
I'm actually working on something like that, although for an analog synth module. I'm using a pair of Electric Druid chips, both of which have tap-tempo capability, though I may or may not use that. Both produce 8 different waveforms of modulation that can be routed in parallel or in series in an interesting way. I would be using them simply as control-voltage sources, that could be routed to a VCA, a filter, VCO, or whatnot. One of the chips yields steady-state modulation, and the other is a sort of "one-shot" generator, whose output can be used to modulate the other. So, I could hit a momentary switch and have chip B gradually accelerate the modulation rate of chip A, or bring in the intensity of chip A and then fade it out, and a variety of other patterns. The modulation rates of the two chips have a bit of overlap. Seeing this product demo gives me the idea of also incorporating a mixer, so that they can be run in parallel.

I take it the "Goatkeeper" name might stem from the manner that some modulation patterns CAN sound like a goat vocalizing "mah-a-a-a--a".

The digital control of modulation is making some truly incredible things possible these days, something I deeply appreciate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure of the name origins, maybe you're right. I just got the vibe of black magic, baphomet, etc., which is why I went in the direction I did with some creepy guitar and the images. Your pedal sounds cool; contact me if interested in a review in the future (if you plan on selling it) and I can get it on Harmony Central.

·
Registered
24,361 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I just make these things for myself and to provide proof of concept for others to make productive use of....which apparently they do from time to time. That's the gratifying part for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts