The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Your like a mad scientist with stuff like this. Great idea..especially for those who do not have appropriate tools and are just kinda getting into this stuff.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your like a mad scientist with stuff like this. Great idea..especially for those who do not have appropriate tools and are just kinda getting into this stuff.
Ha, ha, thanks, I like to solve problems...

After using a tree trunk for weight, plus four clamps, in my previous build... I figured it was time to either buy a lot of clamps or build something. I'm not 100% satisfied with this press because the weight does not seem to get distributed evenly.

If you have enough clamps + cauls to cover the body, then I think that's the better and easier solution.

·
A Nice Man
325 Posts
Nice! I might have to build one of these--it seems better than my usual "put a 50kg bag of sand on top of it" approach to gluing tops.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Sure beats my method. I've gluing on half a top at a time just because there are never enough clamps.

(I haven't mastered posting pictures yet)

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
This may sound crazy, but I was wondering if that jig/press would also work using a small tire tube inflated between 2 sheets of plywood to provide the clamping force rather than the scissor jacks?

Hmmmmm

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This may sound crazy, but I was wondering if that jig/press would also work using a small tire tube inflated between 2 sheets of plywood to provide the clamping force rather than the scissor jacks?

Hmmmmm
I suspect it could work fine but it may not generate the same pressure as the scissor jacks. On the other hand, it may provide better pressure distribution as the tube expands and fills a larger area. Don't know really, would need to try it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts