The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Glossy guitars

4K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Agata0023 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I want to get the gloss off my guitar. Not the paint though, just that shine. Any idea's of a good number grit I should use to sand it off? Anyone have a kinda mini tutorial on it? Thanks :)

#2 ·
Why...?

I used 600 gr. wet dry paper on the back of sticky necks to give them a flat finish, and it doesn't take off much material. I think you could use the same on the body, but you'd have to take off all the hardware, pickguard, bridge and probably the pickups to do it properly.

#3 ·
Yeah, I know. I plan on taking it all apart, it needs a good cleaning and a new set of strings anyways. And as to the why....I dunno, I don't like the shine to it, it looks too "new" if you can understand where I'm coming from. Plus my guitar is kinda beat to hell now anyways.

#8 ·
If you just to take the gloss off I would suggest that you use OOOO steel wool. It"s a lot easier but make sure that you take the PUPs out. If you are going to sand it I would suggest 2000 grit wet sandpaper. you just dip it in water and then sand as normal. It only takes a very light rub to get the gloss off. The reason for the water is to keep the sand paper from clogging. just take a bowl of water and dip your sand paper in it and start sanding. Wipe it off every once in a while, hold it to the light and look for any little shiny spots. I would advise that you use a thin rubber or sponge sanding block ,regardless of how you decide to sand it, to avoid the dreaded finger effect. Thats where you can actually see where the fingers on sand paper has actually made a slightly deeper impression in the finish. The beauty of using 2000 wet is that if you change your mind later on you can just buff the guitar back to it's former glory. If you go with a coarser sandpaper you may very well have to re-spray the guitar to get the gloss back if you change your mind or decide to sell the guitar.

Good Luck

#10 · (Edited)
Well if I take it down to the paint, so there is no gloss, wouldnt it eventually just start rubbing off the paint instead of re-glossing itself? I plan on starting with 1200 wetsanding, then move down to 800, then 600. Seeing how it looks inbetween, then buffing out all those micro scratches (from the sanding) with the buffer I have for my car. So its completely flat paint.

You think 0000 (or whatever) steel wool with be better/quicker? Could I do both - sandpaper and steelwool?

Oh yeah, I have electric sanders as well if you guys think that'd be easier

#11 ·
Oh I guess I should mention its an Epiphone G-400 in the standard gibson red. I've also upgraded the pups to 57 classics and the knobs to speed knobs. So everything is coming out when I do this. I'm also thinking of doing the back of the neck to have everything uniform in color.

#21 ·
so, like the 0000 gauge steel wool then the 1200 grit sand paper? or should i use the 800? or the 600?

I'd start with the steel wool and see if you like the results. If you do then that's all you need to do. It will definitly take the shine off and leave a smooth surface. If you are determinined to go to 600 grit sand paper then just start with that. If I have to sand a finish down because of a boo boo I do it with 800 grit, 2000 wet sanding is used after the clear is applied to make the surface completly uniform before putting it on the buffer for a glass like finish. It would be applicable in your case if you are looking to take the gloss off but leave the clear coat in place. It seems to me you want to remove the clear coat completely so just start off with 600 grit. I will warn you though that if you remove all the clear you may have nothing to protect your guitar. You may very well just have stained wood under the clear. I' can't say because I have never seen the guitar. Good luck with your project.

#22 ·
You're exactly right. I want the shine and the clear coat gone. Right down to the stained wood or whatever it is. I want nothing protecting my guitar. And now knowing that, should I just skip the steel wool and go straight for the 600 grit? I'll be wetsanding, but if you advise not to I wont. I'll be taking out all my electronics, cleaning them and the sheilding the cavities as well. Thanks for any advice. :)

EDIT: Any boo boo's such as dents and nicks and stuff, I'm not worrying about sanding down. So no need to go super mental with the sanding. Just the clear coat will be gone (down to the wood) when all is said and done.

#23 ·
You're exactly right. I want the shine and the clear coat gone. Right down to the stained wood or whatever it is. I want nothing protecting my guitar. And now knowing that, should I just skip the steel wool and go straight for the 600 grit? I'll be wetsanding, but if you advise not to I wont. I'll be taking out all my electronics, cleaning them and the sheilding the cavities as well. Thanks for any advice. :)

EDIT: Any boo boo's such as dents and nicks and stuff, I'm not worrying about sanding down. So no need to go super mental with the sanding. Just the clear coat will be gone (down to the wood) when all is said and done.

Just plain old 600 grit is what you need in your case. you might even start with 400 to get the clear out of the way then a quick sand with 600 will do the trick. no need to wet sand it.

#24 ·
Cool, well once my basement is done being fixed up, I'll start my guitar. What I'll do is take pictures every step of the way (so it will kind of be a tutorial as well). That way everyone can monitor my progress and see if I'm doing anything wrong and stuff like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.