The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this MIM Deluxe Roadhouse Strat on a local Facebook buy and sell group. He was asking $500 with a hard case. I like the Texas Special pickups and thought what the heck. I offered him $400. He lives in Pemberton, about an hour away. He dropped it off this morning on his way to Home Depot which is about five minutes from my house. I like the neck. I like the tone. I like the built in preamp that can be switched off. If I can get used to where the volume control is it may be a keeper.

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Bass guitar String instrument

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I did the same thing recently. I figured I'd try a strat again. I have the same issue with that volume knob. I've been mainly picking between the middle and neck pickup and the volume knob is out of the way there but occasionally I want to pick back closer to the bridge for a brighter attack and thats were I have to get used to the volume knob being there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I also have had a love/hate relationship with Strats, but I'm currently back in love with them. What I don't like is squeaky clean tones on a Strat like Mark Knopfler gets, but add some overdrive and that's a sound I like. I brought my '94 MIJ Strat to rehearsal tonight which is now set up for slide, and everyone commented how good it sounded. I also have two partscaster Strats in Shell Pink and white.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I also have had a love/hate relationship with Strats, but I'm currently back in love with them. What I don't like is squeaky clean tones on a Strat like Mark Knopfler gets, but add some overdrive and that's a sound I like. I brought my '94 MIJ Strat to rehearsal tonight which is now set up for slide, and everyone commented how good it sounded. I also have two partscaster Strats in Shell Pink and white.
I like those clean quacky tones of position 2 and 4 but I also like the tones my strat gets over driven. Although I'm mainly a tele player I find that the neck pickup is much more useable than most tele neck pickups.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Pretty hard to beat a fingerpicked Strat through a dirty Fender. That’s my favourite style right now. Not saying I’m any good at it yet...

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I did the same thing recently. I figured I'd try a strat again. I have the same issue with that volume knob. I've been mainly picking between the middle and neck pickup and the volume knob is out of the way there but occasionally I want to pick back closer to the bridge for a brighter attack and thats were I have to get used to the volume knob being there.
I just added an O-Ring under the volume know. Won't turn accidently now.

·
Registered
18,593 Posts
I have not had any fondness for strats but I think you guys are wearing me down. I do see what you mean about the volume knob but it is lower down the strings closer to the bridge so it shouldn't be a big thing to get used to.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I have the same issue as I'm assuming other LP type players might have. The standard Strat.....Volume knob placement, Maple fingerboard brightness/feel, the scale length, and the neck profile (Modern C) . I also never took to the Vibrato bar on a guitar. But I tried an American Strat Pro the other day that almost took care of the issues previously stated. Volume is the same minor issue that can easily be corrected with a quick technique change/practice. Rosewood fingerboard. check. 25 1/2 scale length, but it's a Deep C rounded profile with what felt like a nice radius (9.5"). Slight chunk, much comfort. Pickups sounded fantastic.

At least now I know some of the ingredients to look for if I take one on. Some of the colors on the new ones are also pretty sweet as well.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The volume knob, lack of tone control on the bridge pickup, and the lack of Tele twang on the bridge pickup are my only issues with a stock Stratocaster.

I'm strongly considering adding a Tele bridge pickup to my Strat, and a middle pickup to my Tele.

Now there is something I have never considered and am now intrigued by: a tele bridge pickup in a Strat. Anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
The volume knob, lack of tone control on the bridge pickup, and the lack of Tele twang on the bridge pickup are my only issues with a stock Stratocaster.

I'm strongly considering adding a Tele bridge pickup to my Strat, and a middle pickup to my Tele.
I wire all my S style guitars with the 2nd tone knob to the bridge pup. Quite a few of the CS Strats now come this way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts