The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking you fine folks to inspire me to buy stuff. Here's the situation:

A new local builder is giving me one of his early guitar builds to show off and play. It is a HH configured Thinline Tele with a Bigsby style trem. Problem is, I already have an HSH super strat, an HH 335 and a H-P90 les paul. My conventional humbucking needs are more than covered already.

I want something neat and affordable. P90's, or filtertron style or mini humbuckers or something. Maybe even jazzmaster style pups. I play classic rock, classic country, country rock, blues, blues rock, etc. I'm leaning towards going filtertron style for that Greg Keelor Gretsch tone.

Must fit a standard humbucker route, with or without adaptor rings. Feed my need forum friends.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Get in touch with David Budzinski at Budz Guitars - he does a HB sized P90, and is working on a HB sized Firebird as well.

Reactions: Alex and cboutilier

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Are the current pickups 2 wire or 4 wire? If 4 wire, you could split the coils for added versatility. Get a pot with a switch and you could go from humbucker to single coil with a pull of the knob!

Also, is that an older picture? I thought you've had that avatar for a while but you are wearing the exact same clothes in the posted picture as you are in your avatar.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
I have a set of TV Jones Classics in a Thinline and they're a wonderful pickup.
Bright, articulate and chimey and that goes for the neck too, which I like a lot.
They're spendy though and you don't see them used much.

Maybe some Phat Cats? I haven't tried those myself though.

I have a Humbucker From Hell here that you can try, it's primarily a neck pickup, but can be used in the bridge.
Don't let the name fool you, it apparently fairly close to a single coil tone.
The Humbucker From Hell® | DiMarzio
I should have another HB here to, whether for the bridge, or neck.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the current pickups 2 wire or 4 wire? If 4 wire, you could split the coils for added versatility. Get a pot with a switch and you could go from humbucker to single coil with a pull of the knob!

Also, is that an older picture? I thought you've had that avatar for a while but you are wearing the exact same clothes in the posted picture as you are in your avatar.
It is. He built the guitar over a year ago and kept it. He decided he'd give it to me to experiment with.

I've never been big on split coils. Im more likely to switch guitars than split coils

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I was GAS'ing for those for my 335 for a while, until I got my Sigil's
Eric Melvin from one of my most favorite bands in the world, NOFX, uses a Phat Cat in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. I imagine this gives a nice difference from going clean on the neck to rock on the bridge.

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eric Melvin from one of my most favorite bands in the world, NOFX, uses a Phat Cat in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. I imagine this gives a nice difference from going clean on the neck to rock on the bridge.
My Les Paul has a P90 in the neck and a Burstbucker in the bridge. It makes it very versatile.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I currently have a SD P-Rails in my Tele neck position, and like it a lot. It has a rather unique HB sound (I prefer it in series but you could switch to parallel, the P90 coil is pretty convincing, and the rail coil sounds like ... a rail pickup.
If its a HB-sized P90, don't automatically exclude GFS, their Dream 90, Mean 90, and Surf 90 are all worthy candidates (I've heard all 3 and are the only GFS pickups I really liked!)

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I currently have a SD P-Rails in my Tele neck position, and like it a lot. It has a rather unique HB sound (I prefer it in series but you could switch to parallel, the P90 coil is pretty convincing, and the rail coil sounds like ... a rail pickup.
If its a HB-sized P90, don't automatically exclude GFS, their Dream 90, Mean 90, and Surf 90 are all worthy candidates (I've heard all 3 and are the only GFS pickups I really liked!)
Id never rule out GFS. I'm a big proponent of low cost gear that sounds great. That's why I mostly play a fleet of Squires and Epiphones

1 - 14 of 14 Posts