The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
enjoy ya gig, James

play with the drums! (love it)
shame you over there, me over here - I can't make the gig!
:rockon:
ozi one knobe

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
james on bass said:
I'll be at the Derby in Strathroy - 10:30 showtime!

First gig with the new bass and amp. :D

I'm in Strathroy often. I know the Derby well. But not tonight. Too bad. Keep us posted with your upcoming gigs.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great gig last night. Quite a few people which is nice. Ususally we play to an empty bar, then can't move once you get outside to the smoking patio.

My new gear was more than up to the task. One of those times when you hear yourself and think "that's the sound I've been searching for".

Guitarist's power amp melted down near the end of the second set, but we got it cooled down for most of the third set. Luckily he lives a few blocks away and had an old Marshall that he retrieved during break to use the last 2 songs. My volume wasn't even on 3. :rockon2:

Next Friday at the McKellar in Glencoe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cool. :cool:

The Derby is usually packed on Fridays and Saturdays in the summers, especially if the band is cool ;) If I had of seen this earlier, I would have went for sure.

Try and get the 'Turkey Fest weekend' time slot. There will be a line to get into the place.

Don't ask how I know this...

Heh... spent some time at that place last summer. (My parents live in Strathroy, but I live in London).

I've played there a couple of times, but only for jam nights. When I lived in Strathroy, I was a minor, and the only place that would let my band play was Leos Den (just down the street). No one ever goes there, so you have to draw the crowds. A lot of work, but a lot of fun.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Keep us posted James. I'm often in Strathroy on Saturday evenings (when I'm home) I'd be happy to stop into the Derby for a listen.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be at the Derby again near the end of July.

I'm at the McKellar in Glencoe this coming Friday night if anyone is into a beer at an empty bay, but packed smoking patio!:mad:

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
Norfolk Inn in Simcoe, Friday and Saturday, May 26, 27.

Good rock club. We play there about five times a year.

If anyone's nearby, drop in and say hi.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
So you like the new Yorkville, I take it?:D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Xanadu said:
So you like the new Yorkville, I take it?:D
Oh yes. It pounds out real well - tonnes of low end but still nice and bright. Lots of headroom with the 800Watts.
I spent 16 years with my GK800RB, and this is definitely not the GK sound - but I like it. So many changes all at once though, so it's hard to tell what made the greatest impact on my tone.
I know you like your Yorkie, but I've got no problems recommending my rig to others.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
james on bass said:
Oh yes. It pounds out real well - tonnes of low end but still nice and bright. Lots of headroom with the 800Watts.
I spent 16 years with my GK800RB, and this is definitely not the GK sound - but I like it. So many changes all at once though, so it's hard to tell what made the greatest impact on my tone.
I know you like your Yorkie, but I've got no problems recommending my rig to others.

800 watt bass amp?!?!

Yikes.

Playing without a PA?

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
SinCron said:
Guy from AC DC has a 1000 watt bass amp.
The guy from AC/DC isn't playing clubs, and he doesn't NEED 1000 watt bass amp, but in his case it probably doesn't cause any problems.

Just my opinion, but the smaller the stage amps, the better the FOH sound.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Milkman said:
The guy from AC/DC isn't playing clubs, and he doesn't NEED 1000 watt bass amp, but in his case it probably doesn't cause any problems.

Just my opinion, but the smaller the stage amps, the better the FOH sound.
I don't run through the PA, and only use volume up to about 3, but the extra headroom is nice. I was pushing my previous 300W amp pretty hard.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
james on bass said:
I don't run through the PA, and only use volume up to about 3, but the extra headroom is nice. I was pushing my previous 300W amp pretty hard.

Head room is a good thing for sure, but a 200 watt amp serving as a monitor only and running direct will give you a killer sound with a lot less lifting, more room on stage and a MUCH easier time for the soundman.

Different way of looking at things for sure. I've been constantly reducing the stage volume to the point where our soundman has pretty good control out front. I don't use an amp at all (Vox Tonelab SE) and we don't point ANY amps at the crowd.

Anyway, this isn't the only way to do it, just the way I prefer.

One way to look at it is that our bassist actually has a 3000 Watt bass amp, soon to be increased to 6000 watts. That's how much power I have in subs.

Not even the mighty SVT will compare to that.

I do share your positive views on Yorkville Sound gear. I have a lot of it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Milkman said:
Head room is a good thing for sure, but a 200 watt amp serving as a monitor only and running direct will give you a killer sound with a lot less lifting, more room on stage and a MUCH easier time for the soundman.

Different way of looking at things for sure. I've been constantly reducing the stage volume to the point where our soundman has pretty good control out front. I don't use an amp at all (Vox Tonelab SE) and we don't point ANY amps at the crowd.

Anyway, this isn't the only way to do it, just the way I prefer.

One way to look at it is that our bassist actually has a 3000 Watt bass amp, soon to be increased to 6000 watts. That's how much power I have in subs.

Not even the mighty SVT will compare to that.

I do share your positive views on Yorkville Sound gear. I have a lot of it.
If I had my way, we'd have a big PA (and a sound guy) and all I'd bring is my bass and a Sansamp in the gig bag. Our PA is just big enough to handle vocals and the kick drum.
We only play small bars at any rate.

·
Premium Member
16,492 Posts
james on bass said:
If I had my way, we'd have a big PA (and a sound guy) and all I'd bring is my bass and a Sansamp in the gig bag. Our PA is just big enough to handle vocals and the kick drum.
We only play small bars at any rate.

I can dig it.

If you're just driving off the stage and using PA for vocals it's important for a bassist to have lots of power, but to use it judiciously.

Sounds like that's what you're doing.:food-smiley-004:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts