The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No gig lined up tonight and okey with that. Been doing the New Years thing for 50 years and dont get a night off too often. Spending the evening with my wife, friends and bandmates. Playing cards, shooting some pool and more. Be safe everyone and Happy New Year to all of you.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
As most full time musicians or techs do, I worked every NYE from the time I was 15 until probably 45 and then still worked a few.

Over the last ten years or so, nobody has offered me what it would take to get me out working on NYE.

That’s largely because I have intentionally made that price cost prohibitive.

My time is worth more to me than to the music “industry”.

I LOVE staying home and indulging in luxury and comfort with my wife.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
As most full time musicians or techs do, I worked every NYE from the time I was 15 until probably 45 and then still worked a few.

Over the last ten years or so, nobody has offered me what it would take to get me out working on NYE.

That’s largely because I have intentionally made that price cost prohibitive.

My time is worth more to me than to the music “industry”.

I LOVE staying home and indulging in luxury and comfort with my wife.
Amen brother!

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
No gig tonight. I think I did last year - or was it the year before? Money is just pitiful now.

I'm going out to see my other guitar player's other band at a pub. We'll leave by 11, French exit style, and be in the tub before midnight. Just the two of us.

And I probably won't drink. As my Scottish uncle says, "New Year's Eve is 'drinking night for the amateurs'. I'm a pro - I drink the other 364 nights." From experience, I can say he got that dead on right about 3 decades ago.

·
Premium Member
16,836 Posts
Gawd I do hope you mean your wife and not your other guitar player. .................................... and then there's that mental image of "French Exit Style in the hot tub" :eek:
Of all the nerve. Maybe his other guitarist is a semi hot gurl of the female persuasion.

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
Almost two years ago I quit the two bands that could have played NYE. Don't miss NYE gigs at all. Folks get drunker, rowdier, and uglier at new years, and it became so disheartening to watch, especially after I quit drinking myself.

Be safe my friends.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
Gawd I do hope you mean your wife and not your other guitar player. .................................... and then there's that mental image of "French Exit Style in the hot tub" :eek:
LOL

Yes. No doubt the band would be pissed if I stole him away before midnight - as swell a guy as he is. Not to mention his wife and my g/f. It will be my g/f that I quietly steal away from all the excitement and adventure. We are both somewhat disinterested in swapping spit with numerous drunk people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts