The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you needed a guitar amp to start playing with a full band with a sound like the Hip, what used or new amps would you be looking for/at if your budget was say $600?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
If you have a board with some decent OD pedals, I would look for a decent clean sound & enough headroom (30W+).

Amps that come to mind that price point include Peavey Classic or Fender Hot Rod series. Traynor probably has a few models in that category too.

A MOD 1 head/vertical 212 cab would be pretty cool, though maybe a little over budget.

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
I would think 30 watts minimum to play rock with a drummer, another guitarist and a bass player. Starting out it's not like we would have guitar in our monitors.
I gig with a Fender DRRI which is just 20 watts and it's loud enough even for a loud drummer. For suggestions, a used Peavey Classic 30 or a Traynor YCV40 can be had for less than $600.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I would think 30 watts minimum to play rock with a drummer, another guitarist and a bass player. Starting out it's not like we would have guitar in our monitors.
Valid point. I think where you play and rehearse as well as the rest of the band's set up will be a factor to consider. That said, I have rehearsed and gigged with mine without any complaints, it's a loud amp irrespective of the wattage. If you are competing with a Marshall stack on the other side of the room though, you'll be disappointed.

Perhaps you could rent a few amps to try from L&M to see what works for your band?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I gigged with my YGL1 without issue in a five piece band.
Gain between 3 and 4 and volume on 3, plenty of headroom.
I used pedal for gain though.

I did use it with a DH 1x12 and swapped out the speaker with Webers.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Really eh?

I always found that solid state amps just sounded washed out in a rock setting with drums, two guitars and bass.
Well, he's looking for something that will help him play Hip material, and I couldn't help but notice when watching the big CBC concert that Paul Langlois was using a Randall, which are most often solid state. That could be the answer right there.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, he's looking for something that will help him play Hip material, and I couldn't help but notice when watching the big CBC concert that Paul Langlois was using a Randall, which are most often solid state. That could be the answer right there.
I doubt he's playing anything solid state but I could be wrong.

Here's a pic from the Kingston show.

JCM 800?

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
$600? Peavey, vintage traynor, fender, marshall, vox, pick your poison haha.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I gig regularly with my DRRI. 22 watts but with a G12H30 speaker which is more efficient than stock. The DRRI keeps up easily with my other guitarists YCV50 (50 watts) and my DSL401 (40 watts).

Watts can be funny things.

Anyway if you want a great value powerhouse with 2 decent channels I highly recommend the Traynor YCV series. Used ones seem to go at around $400 - $450 I'd say.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts