The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled in on bass for a band playing a gig in Corunna last night (which is a small place south of Sarnia, Ontario) and used my recently acquired SX 5'er for the first time. I loved it! I thought it might sound a bit too aggressive with my 2x10s and a 15 (as I prefer a "round" bass sound) but it sounded great!

The gig wasn't bad either; The bar was pretty full, I knew most of the songs and the audience response was good - we had folks dancing from the first set through the fourth and the band got another couple of bookings to boot. Plus the owner only asked us to turn down once :rockon2:

The only drawback to the night was getting home at 4:00am. I'm not as young as I once was :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
:cool: Right on! They are quite giggable right out of the box aren't they?

Can't wait to gig my P bass again. New bridge and a Kent Armstrong pickup wired straight to the jack!

Getting home late is about the worst part of gigging, especially since the kids don't seem to care what time I get home!

·
Registered
84 Posts
james on bass said:
:cool: Right on! They are quite giggable right out of the box aren't they?

Can't wait to gig my P bass again. New bridge and a Kent Armstrong pickup wired straight to the jack!

Getting home late is about the worst part of gigging, especially since the kids don't seem to care what time I get home!
Man, you sure like to wire them straight to the jack - are the stock pots that bad? I'd be worried about keeping it silent between songs.

I hear you about getting home late - the kids are at it early, and my older son had hockey practice pretty early on Sunday mornings (I'm one of the coaches, so I'm on the ice as well)...

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
hammer744 said:
Man, you sure like to wire them straight to the jack - are the stock pots that bad? I'd be worried about keeping it silent between songs.

I hear you about getting home late - the kids are at it early, and my older son had hockey practice pretty early on Sunday mornings (I'm one of the coaches, so I'm on the ice as well)...

:rockon:
The stock pots aren't that bad but they come stock with cheap 500K pots. I have gigged the basses stock and they are just fine, but they do wake up so much with a switch to better pots, and 250K.
I went straight to the jack on one of my jazz basses, but only for a short while as I like to roll off the tone and the neck pickup once in awhile for that Jaco-like fretless sound. The only reason I'm going straight to the jack on the p-bass is because I was sent 500K pots instead of 250K and I lost too much of the thump. The tone will have to be in my fingers. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts