The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acckkk... I really want to go see VH, have a buddy who got tickets, but they moved the Calgary show back a few days to FRI Dec 7th. Dammitt.. I'm booked for a pub gig that night. Maybe I could re-book...

What should I do?

C

·
0 Posts
You couldn't PAY me to attend a VH concert....

But if I were you, I'd try to find one of the other entertainers that plays the same venue and see if someone will swap dates with you.

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Acckkk... I really want to go see VH, have a buddy who got tickets, but they moved the Calgary show back a few days to FRI Dec 7th. Dammitt.. I'm booked for a pub gig that night. Maybe I could re-book...

What should I do?
I'm horrified to see people recommending going to a show over PLAYING a show.

Un freaking believeable.

Play the gig. Even the lowliest gig on the planet is more important than going to a concert IMO.

hello? The show must......

can you dig it?:rockon2:

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Thare are a lot of bands and solo artists I'd love to see too, but it's sort of a code of honour.

I'd play.:rockon:

C

·
0 Posts
Code schmode.....

It won't be the end of the world if you can the gig and go see VH......

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Un freaking believeable.

Play the gig. Even the lowliest gig on the planet is more important than going to a concert IMO.

yah thats messed up- now i remember why i dont play in bands with other people:smile: id put a band PRACTICE, let alone a gig, before any concert- and thats why i never saw stevie ray vaughn. kinda makes me sick in my stomach just thinking about it- the world is full of fall down people. i doubt eddie van halen, or any other successful musician has/had this kind of attitude.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

Un freaking believeable.

Hey, if its what you do for a living, I can understand that the gig is more important, but the reality is, the most important thing in life is what ever satisfies the individual, so its very freaking believable!
That being said, if going to the concert meant letting down the band, I would do the gig. I got the impression he may be able to reschedule the gig?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My word is worth a lot to me.

How much is your word worth to you?
My word is only worth something to my family and friends! After that, I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about my word.

I am playing a gig this Saturday. We approached the bar owner to play on this particular Saturday for a specific reason. He had a band previously booked. We promised him a full house. He called us the next day to say he rescheduled the other band in favor of us.

Point of the story, don't worry about the bar owner because he will do whats best for him if the situation arises.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had an offer to play but Vh was on that date..I turned the gig down. I play a lot and need a break anyways.:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thare are a lot of bands and solo artists I'd love to see too, but it's sort of a code of honour.

I'd play.:rockon:
exactly, honour and ethics. A commitment made is a commitment kept. If it was a family emergency or sickness, that's one thing, but the gig should come first.

C

·
0 Posts
" I've re-read the terms and conditions on the AFM Live Performance Contract for Canada"

Holy take-it-way-too-seriously Batman....

Robboman.... Don't let the tightarses scare you or delude you.... If you really want to go to the concert, try as hard as you can to fill someone in to your gig.... Hopefully someone you can even swap gig dates with.

It's a pub gig... Not the end of the world....

I've swapped pub gig dates plenty of times. For myself (So I can go do something else) or as favours to fellow musicians who wanted/needed to go do something else.

"He made the gig."
Bully for him... I read that as a prime example of someone who's priorities are a total mess. Maybe his marriage would have 'made it' had he not been such a d!ck.

" My word is only worth something to my family and friends!"
Hear FN hear!

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
exactly, honour and ethics. A commitment made is a commitment kept. If it was a family emergency or sickness, that's one thing, but the gig should come first.

...absolutely! a gig never, ever gets cancelled except under the most extreme circumstances.

i gave up an opportunity to see jeff beck (for free!!!) at massey hall a few years ago, rather than cancel a gig.

-dh

C

·
0 Posts
"I take what I do very seriously"
Bully for you. That, and a buck-fifty will get you a small cup of lousy coffee... Expecting that the whole world has to, aught to, should behave exactly like you would is delusional.

"The part of the contract that applies is this:"
I could care less about your 'contract', but that would require effort.

It's most telling that the OP hasn't come back to this thread.

"That's a road I choose to not travel"
Your loss, mate.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts