The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering...I recently bought a new gig bag for my strat, and i usually(actually always) leave the tremolo arm on...But the thing is, when i put it in the gig bag, the bag is kind of pressing against the arm...Is this going to be a problem? Or should i just take the arm off everytime i put the guitar away, which is going to suck?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, i took it out the first time i saw it pushing down...i was just wondering if there was a chance i would be able to leave it...but i dont wanna mess my guitar up lol.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Takes no effort to take it out so you may as well. IM sure the arm being pressed for a long period of time may cause the strings to do something. Maybe the neck could warp cause the strings arent on tight. I reccomend a hardshell case next time you buy a case. So much nicer and offer much more protection. Gig bags are good though too. Take the bar off my friend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
get a guitar stand or wall hanger from your room so you can keep it on - only issue is more dust - then when you travel with it or will not be playing for a long time use the gig bag and take off the arm.

while leaving the arm on in the bag is bad, taking the arm off and on everytime you play ism't great either - that's why I go with the stand while it stays in my music room.

·
Registered
15,505 Posts
The gig bag is the repairmans best friend.
I've often said--friends don't let friends use gig bags.

My guitars rarely leave the house, and they all have hardshell cases. If you spend your money on a guitar--protect the guitar and spend a bit more on a good case.

(Which reminds me--my Iceman case is falling apart)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't like them either but I have quite a collection since most of the used guitars I buy always come with one. It is kind of ironic since they are called gig-bags; the last thing I would put my guitar in when I go to a gig! I always remove my trem arm when transporting a strat; the Callaham ones which drop in are so easy to remove.........

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have used gig bags often for 20 years and have never had any problems as far as damage.

Until today I have never heard of anyone leaving their strat trem arm on the guitar while sticking the guitar in a gig bag but whatever floats a persons boat....

·
Registered
408 Posts
Doesn't matter if I'm putting a Strat in a Gig Bag or Hardshell case - the bar always comes off.
As far as gig bags go I think they're a Godsend. As long as you are careful there is little chance of trouble(although accidents do happen) I've never had an incident with a guitar in a gig bag in 24 years of using them. I don't put any Gibbys in a gig bag due to the neck/headstock fragility but my Strats, Teles, etc always go in a gig bag when I'm going to a gig/session/jam etc.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Doesn't matter if I'm putting a Strat in a Gig Bag or Hardshell case - the bar always comes off.
As far as gig bags go I think they're a Godsend. As long as you are careful there is little chance of trouble(although accidents do happen) I've never had an incident with a guitar in a gig bag in 24 years of using them. I don't put any Gibbys in a gig bag due to the neck/headstock fragility but my Strats, Teles, etc always go in a gig bag when I'm going to a gig/session/jam etc.
You've been incredibly lucky!! I don't take chances with any guitars especially in the back of a van/truck with all kinds of other gear just waiting to fall on top of everything else. I saw a soundguy step onto a gigbag (with guitar in it) at one bar...........not sure if there was damage but I'm glad my stuff was in hardshell cases! What is so cumbersome about a HSC?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I've been using hardcases exclusively, though sometimes I wish I had gig-bags when I'm carrying two guitars and a pedalboard on transit.

As for the trem arm, yup, mine always comes off. I don't even really like having it in unless I'm planning on using it when it's on the hanger or rack, but then again, I only using it infrequently.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Fender guy is right. Over the years most of my electrics have had bolt-on necks, and I've always used gig bags. No issues at all after 15 yrs. I'll say not all gig bags are created equal. And yes, the bar ALWAYS comes off. I had an old Czech Strat copy (yes that's right) that fell over and bent the arm. Lesson learned the hard way.

Shawn.

·
Premium Member
11,293 Posts
The short answer, take it off!

The long answer and rant from a teacher's perspective:

Many young players are infatuated with whammy bars, so as often as not they end up with Strat style guitars with lousy loose fitting bars set at too much of an angle from the body. They ram their guitars into their gig bags, paying no attention to the machine heads or the whammy, then complain at their lesson that they can't keep their blankity-blank Strat in tune. Any device that is designed to tune or de-tune an instrument is susceptible to problems. My advice is to be very mindful of those things and load the gigbag accordingly, ie, don't bump the machine heads, don't ram other stuff into the bag across the strings, and remove the whammy bar.

I'd rather students use gigbags to carry their axes to lessons because bags are so much easier on my furniture and doorframes, seriously, it's all about my stuff! One kid even broke a window. One student with a massive Coffin brand case to house his unbagable pointy guitar is really hard on the woodwork. However, the cost of doing business aside, once they remember to be respectful of their surroundings, hardcases are better for their guitars.

Personally, I don't have quite enough hardshells to go around, so I inevitably end up using a bag or two when I play out.

Gigbags should come with a user manual.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Interesting that everyone here seems to prefer gigbags; don't see too many touring pros using them though (well, except Mayer!!). I have a few very good ones but I still wouldn't go out to a gig with one of my nice guitars in it. Just insurance on my part. And I tend to not walk into doors and door-frames!!:smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd reccomend you take it off. I mean it never hurts to be certain. I've always used hardcases and although they are a pain in the ass they are much safer.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Interesting that everyone here seems to prefer gigbags; don't see too many touring pros using them though (well, except Mayer!!). I have a few very good ones but I still wouldn't go out to a gig with one of my nice guitars in it. Just insurance on my part. And I tend to not walk into doors and door-frames!!:smile:
All too often in these forums someone ends up using the "pros" or "serious musicians don't" perspective. I had a disagreement with a fellow in another forum for this very reason. Please don't take this as an attack or a need to win some point. Just be respectful of the fact that most people who post in forums are not pros or busy working musicians. Gig bags are not as protective, but the price is right and they have those handy shoulder straps.

Shawn :smile:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Interesting that everyone here seems to prefer gigbags; don't see too many touring pros using them though (well, except Mayer!!).
Gig bags are fine locally.
Whenever I've been on the road my guitars go into roadcases.
There's a difference and appropriateness of each.
I'm not putting guitars into the back of a truck without serious protection.
I'm not going to hop into a cab to go to a session with a cumbersome and awkward case. I'm careful enough with my guitars/gear that the likelihood of damage is minimized. I know enough longtime pros who also use gigbags when traveling locally for gigs/sessions/jams.
I've had one incident that resulted in damage to a guitar and it had nothing to do with whether I used a gig bag or hardshell case. It had to do with not using a strap lock and my Les Paul has an ugly repair scar to show for it.
YMMV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts