The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they not selling? Of all guitars on local store clearances, 50 are Gibsons out of the 84 total. Good time to be in the market for a new Gibson or is this a bad investment given Gibson may be under Chinese ownership in the future?

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
The laundered Chibsons will become the norm and we will be reporting the Gibson copies ads on Kij by small boutique builders. Sad.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Are they not selling? Of all guitars on local store clearances, 50 are Gibsons out of the 84 total. Good time to be in the market for a new Gibson or is this a bad investment given Gibson may be under Chinese ownership in the future?
Or they may be under the same ownership. Or they may be under different American ownership. Or Belgian. All of those scenarios are just as likely as Chinese.

This bogeyman of the Chinese buying Gibson seems to be a thing on guitar forums, but I haven't seen any evidence that Gibson is being sold to Chinese investors.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My real question wasn't to rehash the same old scenarios but to seek opinions on whether or not this is a good time to buy a Gibson (seeing all the specials) or wait to see what happens in 2019?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
My real question wasn't to rehash the same old scenarios but to seek opinions on whether or not this is a good time to buy a Gibson (seeing all the specials) or wait to see what happens in 2019?
I’d say if you find one you like and the price is decent, go for it. I don't think any guitar is really a good investment per se, but if you like the guitar and it speaks to you, then why not take advantage of a sale?

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Before we jump to conclusions, consider the close (like reeeeeeeeeally close) ties between L&M and Yorkville (the sole Gibson distributor in Canada). Gibsons have always been a large portion of the specials, whenever there was any sort of sale event at L&M.

Also, are the same price drops happenning at Cosmos and Steve's? How about in the US? Do you seriously think that the Canadian market alone can make or break Gibson financially?

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before we jump to conclusions, consider the close (like reeeeeeeeeally close) ties between L&M and Yorkville (the sole Gibson distributor in Canada). Gibsons have always been a large portion of the specials, whenever there was any sort of sale event at L&M.

Also, are the same price drops happenning at Cosmos and Steve's? How about in the US? Do you seriously think that the Canadian market alone can make or break Gibson financially?
Good Lord no, if you read my post, I was trying to determine if it's a good time to buy or are they dumping them while the values are still relatively high. If the latter, I don't want to end up with something that's worth less than half what I paid for it in a year or two.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
I’d say if you find one you like and the price is decent, go for it. They have made some very good guitars.
Good Lord no, if you read my post, I was trying to determine if it's a good time to buy or are they dumping them while the values are still relatively high. If the latter, I don't want to end up with something that's worth half what I paid for in a year or two.
Any new guitar, even one that's on sale, is going to depreciate in value once you drive it off the lot so to speak.

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Most of those are probably older models, two or three years old.

I agree, if you're worried about taking a hit, look for a used guitar.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Any new guitar, even one that's on sale, is going to depreciate in value once you drive it off the lot so to speak.
Not to mention that the original buyer gets the tax hit. Pretty tough to get that money back.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
That would never happen because all the Chibson factories would be up in arms.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts