The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
From what I've seen, you can get a lot more guitar for the same money Gibson is asking. Those new Gibson guitars are pretty plain Jane, IMHO.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Lets be honest, it's prob good enough for 90% of us.
Bingo. Hit the nail right on the head with that one.

I'm interested in the teal and the slim neck, because my Gibson's have the 50s rounded or melody maker profiles. I also just really like the funky pick guard design.

At $399, it'll be a great mod platform. I'll probably just wait until the less popular colours are being blown out for cheaper.

·
Registered
16,159 Posts
$399 USD, so by the time the conversion to CDN, plus HST, it will be about $600, plus or minus.

Does that really excite you?
No HST out my way--so it may be a little cheaper...
(Just GST)

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
$399 USD, so by the time the conversion to CDN, plus HST, it will be about $600, plus or minus.

Does that really excite you?
Actually a lot more minus. $399.00 x 1.13=$450.87. If you wait for one of MF's 15% of deal and can pick it up across the border, it will be less than $400.00. Still overpriced in my opinion but if you really want something with Gibson on the headstock and don't care that it is still overpriced in comparison to the competition, go grab one.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Actually a lot more minus. $399.00 x 1.13=$450.87. If you wait for one of MF's 15% of deal and can pick it up across the border, it will be less than $400.00. Still overpriced in my opinion but if you really want something with Gibson on the headstock and don't care that it is still overpriced in comparison to the competition, go grab one.

Actually no .
$400US = $530+ CAN and I think with these guitars at this price point trying a few before purchasing would be prudent.

·
Premium Member
1,621 Posts
Steadfastly, do you get your US dollars for free?

My statement is just a basic extrapolation of what it may cost if and when it will be sold in Canada, at a store like L&M.

I look at the cost of everything required to make a "worthwhile" purchase. I often make mistakes, even when making a shrewd purchase that seems like a no brainer. I can easily take a $100 guitar purchase that would cost $800 plus new; add $400 worth of upgrades that were well purchased for less than half of that; do all the work and travel, make adjustments; and be lucky to get a "generous Kijiji offer" of $2-300 CDN, should I decided to sell. Hey, at least I had fun; I think?

If USD exchange is $1.32 or so plus the tack on to purchase, then it can be $1.37 or so. Crossing the border here involves tolls. Traveling an hour or more has a cost. All the might as well incidentals that cost USD, since I am visiting in the US kick in; and the bottom line is that everything costs so much more than your lowball $450 (CDN or USD, you did not specify). Your situation may be unique, as is mine. Others who live in Ottawa, Edmonton, the Yukon, Newfoundland, etc., are extremely unique.

Please give me a lesson in reality and economics, not forum talk and argument. I am not talking about a special sale when all the moons align; just straight forward easy purchase.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Actually no .
$400US = $530+ CAN and I think with these guitars at this price point trying a few before purchasing would be prudent.
Correct. Thank you. I forgot the exchange in my equation. However, you only pay the tax on the US price and you can get the extra 15% off so the price in Canadian would be....$400 - 15%($60.00)=$340.00/.74 (exchange rate)=$460.00 Canadian plus a saving of approximately $30-40.00 on HST. That's why I have a hard time convincing myself to buy music gear in Canada.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
A $400 Gibson is overpriced? One you've never played or even see in real life?

Reminds me of something a teacher once told one of my daft classmates...."son, were you born in a barnyard or a brewery?" which I presume is a Scottish expression.

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
A $400 Gibson is overpriced? One you've never played or even see in real life?

Reminds me of something a teacher once told one of my daft classmates...."son, were you born in a barnyard or a brewery?" which I presume is a Scottish expression.
And you're saying it is................ and you have never played or seen one either?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that with the change rate and actually getting these guitars across the border. If I wait until they're available in French Poutine Land, the mark up will place these guitars around the 550-600$ mark.

As far as a modding platform goes, you can get a much more aesthetically pleasing guitar on an
Ibby. Or even go for an Epi, even. put a few dollars more and you get a carved flame top.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.