The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new on this forum and I had a question to you gibson owners out there. Even though the title pretty much says it all, here's the longer story. I'm about to get an american special telecaster from a trade, really cool guitar. Thing is, I already have enough tele's and I was thinking of trading it for a gibson tribute goldtop 2017 or 2018, or selling then buying. Anyways, my concern with most les pauls is that they are often body heavy. I know that the 2017 has 9 holes weight relief and the 2018 doesnt have any. Still, I'd like to hear from people owning these guitars or people who have tried them before to see how they balance on their laps, since I mostly play and record sitting. Is there really a big difference? What solutions do you suggest to make the guitar balance better? Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I don't have the answers for you, however, I find LPs impossible to play on my lap. The cut is in the wrong spot for me. Strap only for any length of time, otherwise my right leg feels like its going to fall off.

Even with a strap, sitting is tough, I have to jack it way up. Standing is the only way to go for me, and I have convinced the wife that its a 'work out'.

C

Reactions: Alex_Ch

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
If your strap is tight enough would you even notice a difference?

Then again, I've never had a problem with balancing LPs on my lap.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Can't speak for the Tribute but I really have no issue with sitting with the LP (10 pounder). Weight has no effect when sitting but will wear on you standing for long amounts of time. It might depend on your body shape and size though. I've also been playing the same LP for 35 years so that may have a slight effect on comfort level. If you're really used to Tele's the 2 or 3 lb difference might be larger going up in weight than in my case. Is it possible to try one out before you make a decision? Maybe try to find the heaviest one possible and give er a rip. See what happens then make a decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the answers everyone. I've considered using a strap but then again I find them annoying sometimes and can definitely appreciate a well balanced instrument. Unfortunately, not many of these guitars are available used or in stores in my area, and I might need to purchase online if I can't find a deal. Did anyone try to change the hardware ( tuners or tailpiece and such) and noticed a difference in terms of balance?

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
If your strap is tight enough would you even notice a difference?
I do. If I don't use a strap, while sitting, the cutaway on the LP settles on my leg and my right hand ends up over the fretboard. Which is pretty much useless. If I shorten a strap, its a bit better, as its not way out of regular playing position. In addition, the pickguard starts to get in the way and I'm concerned about ripping it off (when the cutaway is resting over my right leg).

A classical footrest would solve the problem, as I could put the lower bout between my legs, but I don't have one.

C

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
These days I also play sitting BUT ....
I ALWAYS use a strap and let the guitar hang down on the strap in the sitting position.
I find that this is by far the most comfortable and easiest way to play my guitars.
I also have a bar stool that I use to make it even easier to use the strap and let the guitar hang down in a more natural position

I find the use of a strap firmly settles the guitar on my body.
Just my 2 cents worth.
G.
DSC07336s.jpg

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Hi! I'm new on this forum and I had a question to you gibson owners out there. Even though the title pretty much says it all, here's the longer story. I'm about to get an american special telecaster from a trade, really cool guitar. Thing is, I already have enough tele's and I was thinking of trading it for a gibson tribute goldtop 2017 or 2018, or selling then buying. Anyways, my concern with most les pauls is that they are often body heavy. I know that the 2017 has 9 holes weight relief and the 2018 doesnt have any. Still, I'd like to hear from people owning these guitars or people who have tried them before to see how they balance on their laps, since I mostly play and record sitting. Is there really a big difference? What solutions do you suggest to make the guitar balance better? Thanks a lot!
I have a 2017 Gold Top tribute, and i have no problem sitting playing with it, or any other, it has perfect weight.
There's a mint 2017 Gold Top Tribute in the for sale section on page 10 or 11 of this forum worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I had a pretty heavy 2015 LP for a little bit that was fine to play sitting down. I believe mine did have the 9-hole weight relief as well, but apparently it didn't make that much difference. You'll probably find that varying slabs of wood can have just as much (or more) of an effect on total weight than the weight relief, so I'd put more stock in an actual weight measurement than whether there is weight relief or not. You might want to consider resale value when purchasing an LP... a 10+ lb boat anchor might be difficult to offload if you decide you want something else.

Did anyone try to change the hardware ( tuners or tailpiece and such) and noticed a difference in terms of balance?
I think on really light guitars one might want to consider lighter tuners to combat a neck-heavy guitar. But if the guitar body is already relatively heavy, shaving an ounce or two probably won't make too much difference on the balance, standing or sitting.

I'm curious, how are you holding the guitar when you sit down? Like others mentioned, many people don't find guitar weight or balance an issue when seated, and I haven't ever noticed any guitar feel unbalanced when sitting down. However, you must not be alone as others have echoed what you are saying. When I play, I sit forward on the edge of a chair, back straight or maybe sitting forward a bit, and the guitar sits on my right leg close to my body while my right arm is in constant contact with the guitar body. I would never sit it on my leg and completely let go. I can hold the guitar using just one arm, either the right around the body, or the left hand holding the neck. This works for a heavy bass as well, no balance issues encountered. But again, I am constantly holding the guitar with one arm or the other (or playing with both).

A classical footrest would solve the problem, as I could put the lower bout between my legs, but I don't have one.
More than anything, your left hand needs to play a lot different when holding it this way, which will probably be more of an adjustment than playing a guitar that doesn't feel balanced properly. That said, it does encourage some good left-hand technique so it's always worth a try! A small box or a few large books can always take the place of a classical foot rest.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the 2017 Goldtop. Balance wasn't an issue. Humbuckers were. I sold it and bought a Godin with P90's, and don't miss the Gibson.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the answer troyhead! I guess my issue is mostly that I expect my guitars to have the balance of a strat or tele, so I can just basically not hold them and they dont fall left or right. Again, I know with les pauls that's not often possible, but I do like getting close to that. I always found it annoying to need to hold the guitar with my right hand of left hand just to make sure it didn't slip. I did notice that I didn't mind neck heavy guitars as much though. I also don't usually have much of an issue playing in a classical position, I just always forget to bring a classical footrest. I do appreciate the point you brought up that the balance would have more to do with the actual weight of the guitar more than just what kind of weight relief is used.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
You just had to remind me didn you...
let me explain...
The LP started as a 2011 60's tribute Studio LP...great guitar right out of the box by the way.

I then put in 2 SD antiquity mini humbuckers after removing the original P90's
Then I installed a beautiful Bigsby and roller bridge...

To this day I dont know why but I removed and sold the Bigsby and have regret it ever since...Oh well.
This is how it looked like at its best.
G.
DSC05644s.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
I had the opportunity to play GT's LP.
It felt soooo nice.
Sounded great too, plugged into a Mesa Blue Angel at the time, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I've never played (or even heard of) an LP that has neck dive problems.

Lots of SG's seem to suffer from this. ES line doesn't neck dive, IME, but they roll away from your body top to bottom (your neck to butt instead of the guitar's). Obviously, the strap button location is a significant factor in all of this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts