The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions about the sg...

1. How much does is weigh (i could'nt find this anywhere)
2. whats the diffrence between this one and a les paul
3. is it better for people that have small hands (i do)??
4. if you have one, do you like it??

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts

1. Less than a Les Paul (too light in my opinion as these guitars tend to be neck heavy)

2. Les Pauls are generally a mahogany back with a two piece maple top. They're heavier, have better sustain and are generally a higher quality guitar in general.

3. Should be no advantage for people with small hands. The neck feels like a typical Gibson neck to me.

4. I don't have one, but I have had one in the past. I couldn't get used to the neck heaviness and sold it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I love my SG. Yes it is a bit neck heavy which is only an issue if you take your hands off the guitar and let it hang by the strap. They are very comfortable to play. I believe they weigh in the low to mid 6lbs (2.5-3 kg)

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
I love my SG. Yes it is a bit neck heavy which is only an issue if you take your hands off the guitar and let it hang by the strap. They are very comfortable to play. I believe they weigh in the low to mid 6lbs (2.5-3 kg)
Actually for players who dislike neck heavy guitars it's NOT only an issue when we take our hands off the guitar.

I feel like I'm constantly applying upward pressure to keep the neck in playing position. It's not a lot of force but it's constantly there.

I do take my hands off the guitar a lot though.

It's a personal taste thing. Some of my favourite players are well known for using SGs.

Frank Zappa
Angus Young
Tony Iommi

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'll agree with the neck heavy feel. I had one for a bit and although they have great access and a rocking sound they take some getting use to in the feel department. Still I think they are a cool guitar.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts

1. My 2004 '61 RI SG weighs about 6lbs

2. As described, the thinner body and lack of a maple cap on the SG is the difference. The Les Paul is not a "higher quality guitar." This is an apples and oranges thing.
The lighter one piece body makes an SG very midrange focused and wooly sounding. The thicker body on the Les Paul gives it more bottom, and the maple cap gives it better definition. Overall it has more of a hi-fi vibe than an SG. I personally prefer the SG tone and find it sits better in a band mix, but many people disagree. You have to try them both and see what speaks to you.

3. It's no better for small hands, but when buying a gibson look in the decription on their site to see if it has a 60s or 50s neck shape. 60s is much narrower, 50s is much thicker.

4. I love my SG. And for the record, mine is not neck heavy. I use a good leather strap and it doesn't move. I could stand with no hands on the guitar an bow (not something I ever get to do) and it would not move. Having said that, there are many neck heavy SGs out there so make sure to test with a strap when you are trying it out and make sure its comfortable for you. Actually, do the same when trying Les Pauls too. You will know pretty quick if you can deal with the Les Paul weight.

SG bodies are usually made of a single piece of wood. Becuase of that, their tone is more affected by the quality of wood than most guitars. Do not order online. Play as many as you can in person and you will get an idea on which ones are lively and which ones are dead.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've never played with one, so i can't say, but they seem like very nice guitars. I have, however, played an old melody maker in an SG shape recently, and it felt really nice. Doubt it's exactly like that nowadays though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1. Less than a Les Paul (too light in my opinion as these guitars tend to be neck heavy)

2. Les Pauls are generally a mahogany back with a two piece maple top. They're heavier, have better sustain and are generally a higher quality guitar in general.

3. Should be no advantage for people with small hands. The neck feels like a typical Gibson neck to me.

4. I don't have one, but I have had one in the past. I couldn't get used to the neck heaviness and sold it.
Are you me?
I went through that same experience :D:banana:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
My Epiphone LTD Edition SG-61 (made in Japan) is great. The neck is slightly wider than on my Epiphone LP Standard (Chinese) and maybe slightly thinner, but it's the perfect size for my hands and the width of my fingers.

Its body is thinner than the LP. It fits the body a lot better than the LP because it's rounded. Your legs won't go numb after 30 minutes of playing while sitting like it does with the LP, which has square edges.

It's made of mahogany only, but it seems brighter than the LP despite the lack of a maple cap (maybe because the body is thinner).

·
Registered
377 Posts
The problem there is that this isn't a good test of what your fretting arm will feel like after holding up the neck for 3 to 4 hours. I can't recall the last time I saw somebody in a music store put a strap on a guitar and try it out standing up. I can't recall the last time I tried out a new guitar standing up. I can't recall if I have ever tried out a guitar in a store standing up.

There's a reason I don't play my ES 335 in the 3rd set.
I usually do, because a guitar has to be playable standing up to be really worth it. Even though sometimes it makes me look like a dick, i still pick up a guitar and walk and move around like i'm on stage :smilie_flagge17:

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I usually do, because a guitar has to be playable standing up to be really worth it. Even though sometimes it makes me look like a dick, i still pick up a guitar and walk and move around like i'm on stage :smilie_flagge17:
Completely agree.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So you were the guy I saw doing the Angus Young routine! :smile:

Honestly, like give me a break about the weight of the neck issue. Its not that big a deal. The best advice is to try out the guitar himself.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I Do!

The problem there is that this isn't a good test of what your fretting arm will feel like after holding up the neck for 3 to 4 hours. I can't recall the last time I saw somebody in a music store put a strap on a guitar and try it out standing up. I can't recall the last time I tried out a new guitar standing up. I can't recall if I have ever tried out a guitar in a store standing up.

There's a reason I don't play my ES 335 in the 3rd set.
I actually have tried many guitars standing up, and I ask the staff to lend me a strap. If I am going to spend $1500 for a guitar, damn right i'm going to test it out for a while, in many situations.

I try guitars first without an amp. if i like it i plug it in. if it looks promising plugged in, i'll immediately ask for a strap and start trying things while standing up. It may take a couple hours if i'm really serious about an expensive guitar. It took me about 3 hours to choose my first les paul, and i played about 7 or 8 of them that day. But it was $1900 US.

I tried the SG, and in fact do find it neck heavy. Although I love the tone, always holding onto the neck drives me crazy. I got rid of a epi sheraton for the same reason. I do find ES335s to be balanced properly, probably the big epi headstock. that's a whole different thread....

good luck with the SG if you like it. ymmv

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
For those of us who are bothered by a neck heavy guitar, it is indeed a big deal.

It's a bigger deal than crappy pickups or a poorly cut nut. Those things can be corrected. The bandaid approach of using a leather strap that tends to grab your shirt is a nonstarter for me.

I don't really care how a guitar feels sitting down because I almost never play sitting down. I see no need to sit and play. Even at rehearsals I stand. Why get used to doing a song and then change a basic element?

It's a very fundamental requirements for me that a guitar be well balanced. If I take my hands off the neck I want it to tend to rise or stay put, not fall.

It's a matter of personal preferences.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Me too Milkmiester.

At 5,7 the neck will hit the ground.

Ages ago I had a Hagstrom that looked like an SG It was neck heavy and I got rid of it.

Before that I had a 63 SG Special it was gone for the same reason.

But that's just me. Everybody else likes them. You know Little Angus, Carlos used to play one. Even B.B. Live at the Regal.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts