The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to Long and Mcquade again. Played both of these guitars, they sound awesome! But I dont know which one to choose!! Ive played on a couple of amps, icluding the Vox that I want to get..... i can get the 61' Reissue for 50 dollars extra on ebay. I dont know if its worth it. I can get the same tone out of both of them... Is there any major difference except the humbuckers and the Pick Guard??? Most people say the Reissue is way better. Can anyone explain why??

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
LOL!

Man, just get on with it and score a guitar. Everything else will sort itself out. You've hashed and rehashed a lot here and you've received some sound advice. Pick a guitar... it's not the end of the world if you one day outgrow it or change your mind. I know it's an important purchase for you and I respect that... it's just that I think you're starting to split hairs, man.

Take a deep breath and let it out. Then go with your gut. Enough said.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Go with whichever one "spoke" to you. If the place was on fire, and you could only grab one, which one would you grab? Okay, get that one. Dont worry about pickguards, or pickups or whatever - close your eyes and go by which feels the best.

Dont worry about an extra hundred or whatever dollars (as long as you have the money). Once you've owned and enjoyed the guitar for a few years, the extra $100 wont mean anything.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just found out that the neck width is smaller on the reissue whhich is good for me because i have small hands..

·
Premium Member
17,331 Posts
Marlon: If you post a picture a your new guitar by Oct 31st, I'll buy you an extra set of strings for it (your choice of make, gauge, etc).

That is a promise.

Go for it, grasshopper.

Dave

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Well, i most admit, i think marlon is doing the right thing asking question at his age, a lot of them, but it's better then going to the guitar shop with a load of cash and buying something he would regret a few weeks down the road.

Marlon, go for the 62 reissue, greath guitar, it would'nt be my personnal first choice, but that's why there are so many different models available..:)

Don't forget to take picts with the Axe and show it to use when you make-up your mind and go for the kill :rockon2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lol
probably a vox valvetronix ad30vt or ad50vt. but maybe ill change my mind. probably will.
do you guys know if i can get the classic fender sund with my SG reissue and the vox. any of the effect maybe... .maybe boutique clean? that would be cool

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
lol
probably a vox valvetronix ad30vt or ad50vt. but maybe ill change my mind. probably will.
do you guys know if i can get the classic fender sund with my SG reissue and the vox. any of the effect maybe... .maybe boutique clean? that would be cool
No you can't get a classic strat sound from the SG, but don't worry about it........it will give you an excuse to go out a buy a Fender Strat in the future.
:smile:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've had an opportunity to check out some Vox gear over the last several months and I have to say, from what little I've seen anyway, that it's good gear. I think you're making a wise choice.

As for that classic Strat sound, if you find yourself jonesing for it and can't shake it, sometime down the road you can spring for a good quality Strat copy (provided you can't afford the real deal, of course) and then you're good to go. Or - ! You can wait a while until the emulation tech gets that much better. It's already a moving target and I expect that one day the difference between old school and new will be so fine most ears won't be able to tell the diff. I am amazed at how far emulation/modeling has come in the last couple of years. Makes me think that one day something like a high-end Variax or a super-versatile modeling amp might be something worth investigating.

In any case, congrats on making a decision. SGs belong in the pantheon of classic American electric guitars - they're so iconic and cool yet they are also true player's guitars. You'll have tons of fun with your new acquisition, I'm sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks....
got another question. On ebay they 61 reissue comes in white... but on the website it says it only comes in red....

???

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
My God Marlon, thats a guitar of the week!! You are one lucky guy to have a first guitar that is so great! I would love to get one of those!

I mentioned this in another thread. I have bought from this guy before.

I personally did not have a good experience with this guy as I felt his guitars were factory seconds. No money back refunds with this site so beware. Thats an awful lot of money to blow on a guitar thats not up to standards. I really feel you should go to a reputable guitar store for a good guitar like this one!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Man, if you played to guitars and preferred the 61 do NOT then buy a 61 off of ebay!! You need to play a guitar and the one from ebay may be great but may be a dog.

Just buy one in person at L+M. Peace of mind is worth $50.

TG

Today I went to Long and Mcquade again. Played both of these guitars, they sound awesome! But I dont know which one to choose!! Ive played on a couple of amps, icluding the Vox that I want to get..... i can get the 61' Reissue for 50 dollars extra on ebay. I dont know if its worth it. I can get the same tone out of both of them... Is there any major difference except the humbuckers and the Pick Guard??? Most people say the Reissue is way better. Can anyone explain why??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts