·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,197 Posts
For the hipsters :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Even if it's a finish crack --- it clearly shows that Gibson's web team (or person) isn't paying much attention to details since this is the second time they've used a photo showing a guitar with a finish flaw (they had posted a pic of a guitar with a dent a few months ago).

This would be like a Ford posting a pic on their website of the 2018 Mustang with a scuff on the bumper.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
It’s like they just don’t care or they are using a third party service who know nothing about guitars. I’d also think that there would be some Q&A done before they go live with pics.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
well...then L&M can put it on the B-stock page with $200 off the normal price...
isn't that the way it normally goes?
the comments section on that page is where its at!

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2018 now with pre-cracked headstocks!
Am I the only one that thought this would lead to an Onion story?

Reactions: vadsy

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Even if it's a finish crack --- it clearly shows that Gibson's web team (or person) isn't paying much attention to details since this is the second time they've used a photo showing a guitar with a finish flaw (they had posted a pic of a guitar with a dent a few months ago).

I completely agree, but the claim that it is a crack (ie. a headstock break) is false.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had heard that it may be buffing compound too.

It's still an oversight before the picture session and after they were taken.
After all, it's all over the web, again.

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
Bottomline is its the wrong pic to have that used. someone should have caught that. they photoshopped out some of the serial numbers, they should have done it with any other "artifacts".

Reactions: sulphur

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
If it turned out to be "just" a finish crack, wouldn't that still suggest there's significant stress on that area of the neck? The fact that we're discussing it "could" be a structural crack is only because it's a Gibson...making it entirely possible in the first place.

·
Registered
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the reason that I'd heard about the buffing compound is that if it was cracked, it wouldn't survive the string tension.
That made sense to me. Either way though, it shouldn't have made it into the promotion pics.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.

One states that it's buffing compound that wasn't cleaned off properly.
Blowing up the shot, it's hard to tell.

View attachment 133641
Buffing compound, a finish crack or the real thing, I just don't get why Gibson doesn't fix their headstocks so they don't break so easily. I've heard all the marketing reasons and the old boys whining about changing the iconic headstock. It's absolute craziness in my books.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What could they do to change it?

Reducing the headstock angle would reduce string compliance (I think that's the term) and subsequently make the strings feel slinkier (changing the feel of the LP itself). I have an early 70s LP and with its shallower headstock there is definitely a difference in feel as compared to my newer Gibsons.

I have no idea if adding the volute during the 70s made any difference in durability/strength. If there is proof it did, I wouldn't object to it being added again.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts