The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Maybe this is a sign the new management at Gibson is listening ...The walnut bodies look like a better grade of wood then what I seen from 1978.. I think these will be big sellers .

·
Registered
73 Posts
I like it also... it’s nice, plain, and clean looking! I hope I get to try one.

·
Premium Member
17,332 Posts
Yep that's a nice workhorse. I wonder how much Gibson will charge for calling it a Reissue.
Gibson's The Paul Reissue stays true to the 1978 design, coming in a "walnut vintage gloss" finish. It features nickel-finished aluminum hardware, black control knobs, and no mention of the "Firebrand" branding on its truss rod cover. The uncovered pickups are a 490R in the neck position and a 498T at the bridge.

Gibson dealers are selling this new model for $1,399, and you can find your own here. While vintage models can be found cheaper on Reverb, many of these older guitars have replacement parts. Will this simple, unfussy attempt at a new affordable model find new fans?

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Gibson's The Paul Reissue stays true to the 1978 design, coming in a "walnut vintage gloss" finish. It features nickel-finished aluminum hardware, black control knobs, and no mention of the "Firebrand" branding on its truss rod cover. The uncovered pickups are a 490R in the neck position and a 498T at the bridge.

Gibson dealers are selling this new model for $1,399, and you can find your own here. While vintage models can be found cheaper on Reverb, many of these older guitars have replacement parts. Will this simple, unfussy attempt at a new affordable model find new fans?
"Firebrand" was a "The Paul" Deluxe and came with a Mahogany body, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Obusure? Did you mean obscure?

I have a friend who has one of these, an original one, and loves it. I think it looks like a bad piece of antique furniture. No thanks.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
I think it looks like a bad piece of antique furniture. No thanks.
agreed.

I did like those smartwood guitars Gibson put out years ago. Same concept I guess but some of those had nice tops/caps and ebony boards I believe. I guess they just appealed more to me.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
I agree with both of you, until I start to play it. Then it really doesn't matter.

Obusure? Did you mean obscure?

I have a friend who has one of these, an original one, and loves it. I think it looks like a bad piece of antique furniture. No thanks.
agreed.

I did like those smartwood guitars Gibson put out years ago. Same concept I guess but some of those had nice caps and ebony boards I believe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts