The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this look like a matched pair of Pat # pickups from a 1966 Gibson SG Standard ? I note that the inside corners on one are not the same as the other.
20181022_083241.jpg
20181022_083255.jpg
20181022_083304.jpg

L

·
0 Posts
That blob of solder would suggest that it was opened up too.
Hopefully, the original bobbins are still in there.

upload_2018-10-22_8-29-25.png

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Perhaps the “clipped” ears are so that the assembler knew which one was bridge and which one was neck?

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
i heard those corners are clipped like that to allow more cosmic rays to pass through the coils because of the way they affect tone. the story goes, that tesla was a gear head. he was sitting in his lab, playing along to his vinyl, when he had a vision. he could have the purest tone by aligning the holes with the correct x/y positioning. the fbi confiscated all his notes when he died, but some guy at stanford found them, and put them on the web. this other guy i talked to once in another forum said he screen capped the notes before the page went 404...

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i heard those corners are clipped like that to allow more cosmic rays to pass through the coils because of the way they affect tone. the story goes, that tesla was a gear head. he was sitting in his lab, playing along to his vinyl, when he had a vision. he could have the purest tone by aligning the holes with the correct x/y positioning. the fbi confiscated all his notes when he died, but some guy at stanford found them, and put them on the web. this other guy i talked to once in another forum said he screen capped the notes before the page went 404...

Thankyou.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
The guys on My Les Paul Forum will know this. Post in the Vintage SG side

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts

Utter and complete balderdash.

Tesla hated Edison. As such, he wouldn't touch the phonograph. He was listening to CD's before anyone else. Which of course, like wireless power, he took to his grave. It took us 50 odd years to rediscover that tech, and we're still trying to figure out the wireless power.

·
Registered
24,713 Posts
One good place to post this query and pics is the pickup-makers forum at MEF: Pickup Makers It is where those folks who study pickup-construction, in order to replicate classic tones for their own commercial products, gather. That has included Jason Lollar, Frank Falk, Rick Turner, Wolfe McLeod, and many other authoritative voices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts