The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My dad gave me this guitar 7 years ago for my birthday its a Gibson Nighthawk Special. I played it a few times and haven't touched it in the last 6 years. I recently took it out of the case and it has these fine cracks in the paint on the paint on the front. What is that from? They run vertical and you can't even feel them with your fingers but you can see them. I was wondering if it maybe from a cleaner I may have used years ago? I know it was worth quite a bit of money (my dad likes nice guitars) and I don't play anymore. I was wondering what it might be worth, although I am torn about selling it, sentimental value. It was made in 1996 it's ebony w/gold hardware and rosewood fingerboard w/dot inlay.
Thanks
:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
208 Posts
The fine cracks are checking in the finish, causes of which are varied, but usually due to extremes in moisture or temperature exposure. Once developed, there is no way short of a total refinish to get rid of them. They have no bearing on the condition of the instrument, and as long as it is kept in a stable climatic condition nothing should happen to it.

Nice guitar, keep it. You may have the hankering to pick it up someday, and if you do, it will be just as nice then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keep it, I had one of those and sold it about 6 years ago. I didn't really play but lately I wish I had kept it as I just got the urge to play a couple of months ago and I'm having a blast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts