The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Played one of these today for a couple of minutes. Didn't plug it in. I never do the first time.Felt, very nice. Loved the neck. Comfortable. Curious about a sonic tryout now.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GuitarsCanada said:
I had one for a few years. Versatile. I used it mainly for blues, clean. They never really caught on that much. Can be had for good price on the secondary market.
I assume the one I tried might be overpriced (it was in excellent condition) - $1200. How did you find the pickups - the mini in the neck? This one had a five way switch, so I assume there was coil splitting, maybe in/out of phase options?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok this topic is old, but I can't resist to talk to the nighthawk. Mine is a standard.

I really like the gibson mini humbucker. I changed it to a seymour duncan SM-3 (for sale) but I back to the gibson.

I tried different pickups in bridge (Seymour Duncan JB, Dimarzio Tone Zone, Lauzon true-P90 and Lauzon "custom" humbucker), and my favorite is the Tone Zone, but I should try again the Gibson stock, and maybe the Gibson 500T.

I replaced the f*****g gibson deluxe with gotoh tuners. I also replaced the 5-way by a schaller megaswitch but this thing is a tone sucker ! Don't buy schaller megaswitch !! Now I've got a 3-way, but it don't fit perfectly ... so if someone can advice me a 3 way selector for the nighthawk ...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Neat looking guitars. I've never played ~ nor can recall when I have last seen one even ~ but I'd like to try one out too.

I'm not sold on the bridge pup on an angle like that though. I think it would look better straight up and down. More traditional I guess. Just IMO.

EDIT:

I do however dig that the body is bound, and the first first fret is inlaid....nice touch.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I owned one in the mid 90's. I liked the light weight and the pickup switching, but mine had some quality problems. The binding on the fretboard was misaligned, one of the tuners seized up and the output jack died. I traded it for a tele.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not sold on the bridge pup on an angle like that though. I think it would look better straight up and down. More traditional I guess. Just IMO.
I agree. The 2nd thing I don't like is the 5 way selector. I prefer toggle switch, but I understand why Gibson put a 5-way selector.

Gibson have made a new nighthawk, but the only common thing with the original is the wood and the design. sigiifa

·
Registered
14,948 Posts
I remember there were a few variations as well, and also that I wanted to try one, but never did.

I like the idea behind them--and the 5 way wouldn't scare me off.

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see this thread has been raised from the dead. Don't remember trying it out, let alone making the post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love the small body. The guitar is light but the tone is here !

·
Registered
84 Posts
I only see the epiphone. Did someone jump in the Gibson ? kkjuw
The description says the epiphone has an alder body.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I remember seeing a band where one of the guitarists had a Nighthawk. It sounded pretty good, but I could never get over the looks. I'm way too superficial!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts