• Yup, I'd pay for a Custom Shop relic.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • That's a hard no.

Votes: 24 77.4%
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,037 Posts
Another thing about an expensive relic... do you end up treating it with kid gloves? Or is it a really expensive player guitar?
That probably depends on how you treat expensive guitars in general.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That probably depends on how you treat expensive guitars in general.
True. For me, guitars are meant to be played, so I won't kid glove it if I own it.

At the same time, I feel nervous around expensive instruments that I don't own. But I'm much more comfortable handling a vintage guitar than a pristine boutique guitar. I imagine I'd feel the same about an expensive relic.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If I had a $12K relic it would only be because someone gave it to me and I would treat it with respect just as I do with all of my guitars. I treat my guitars as though I actually like them. I don't treat them as though they are distasteful to me, not deserving of any respect and that the occasional flogging is just what they had coming to them. I don't just accidentally let them fall or swing like a pendulum either. There are no accidents because I like them so I don't leave room for accidents. I don't set them down in precarious places. I don't attempt backflips on stage. I'm not a world famous rockstar so I don't play stages where there is room to run around and crash into shit.

Several months ago I sold a 1998 MIA Strat that I purchased brand new in January or February of 1999. It was my main gigging axe for the first 14 years of it's life until another guitar became my Number One. The guy who bought it was blown away by the fact there was not a scratch or chip or dent on it anywhere. He could see by the fret wear that I wasn't joking about it having seen a lot of heavy use. I could tell by his questions and comments that he very likely was a relative newbie to the guitar world even though he looked to be in his 40s. I enjoyed watching the look on his face while he was mentally trying to reconcile the obviously well used 22 year old guitar in excellent condition he was holding in his hands with his preconceived idea that chips and dents and scratches were just facts of life and inescapable as normal wear and tear.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No,... all my guitars must earn their battle scars the same as I do.
However, for those who don't want to wait for the natural occurring dings, scratches and wear why pay more for a Gibson relic guitar,... just grab your sander, hammer, chisel, scraper, etc., and get at it,... for free!, 🚬,🔨,⛏,⚙,🔪,🗡,🔑,🔗,✂,🖋,🗜,⚓,🏒,⛸,🥊,🥄,🍴,☕,🍺,🌧,🐕,🦷,👣,🥾,👠,🦘,🦍,❄,🌤🔍,🍕,🍩,🗝

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
As of this weekend, I didn't know what Murphy Lab was but glad I gave it a try. Sweet sounding guitar, both pickups with volumes rolled off, just noodling.

Nice tones! How you diggin the unpotted custombuckers?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I LOVE Fender relics...but they rarely do anything for me on a Gibson. If anything I'd want just finish checking...but mostly I'd be fine with VOS finishes.

·
Premium Member
17,952 Posts
Relics are just not my thing.

I love the look of a really old guitar and I can see the value of making a guitar feel or sound like it has some miles on it, but it's not necessary to simulate antiquity to achieve that and for me it just seems fake.

To each their own.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
With the price now on the Murphy Lab Guitars,does that change the price of the older Murphy Guitars?

·
Premium Member
18,037 Posts
But with pristine covers and guard? My 25yo squier yellowed already.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts