Fugly or Cool?

• Fugly

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Cool

Votes: 19 45.2%

Gibson Moderne - Fugly or Cool?

4K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  BSTheTech 
#1 ·
Somewhere in my education, I missed this guitar design completely. I have never actually seen one in the flesh. I can't decide if I like it or not.
Guitar String instrument Electric guitar String instrument Musical instrument

See less See more
#16 ·
A friend of mine had a pretty cool and accurate (well... as far as woods and trad Gibson build) Japanese copy in the ‘80s, I forget the maker (not an Ibanez). It had a normal Gibson headstock and was a very cool-sounding guitar once we put good pickups in. It got stolen and is sorely missed.

Pierre
Guitares Torvisse

#29 ·
I had two of them; an Epiphone and a Gibson, and sold both and broke even. Neither played very well and even after replacing the nut on the Gibson, it didn't stay in tune. I would consider another Moderne, but it would have to be a good one right out of the starting gate.

I wrote an extensive article for Premier Guitar years ago on the search for the original Moderne. Supposedly, Gibson made at least three to five prototypes and none have apparently survived. Former Gibson employees say they existed and were dumped in the "morgue" and finally cut up on a band saw. Others say they rescued the parts and built new Modernes. I finally came to the conclusion they existed, but no complete original examples exist today. If there was an original, it would have surfaced by now, as it would be worth a fortune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.