The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the story is I like a lesPaul . My friend has an old standard lying around so I asked about it . He said yes he will sell but he wants $2600 .
its the only picture I have of it but I will be getting more pictures. Is $2600 too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see at Long and McQuad, a les Paul standard in Heritage Cherry selling for 2499.00 new
I'm not sure so, consider what I post but, that might be a bit much for his??
Is his some kind of custom shop piece or?
Is it old like the 70's or?

Well, seems high to me...
Shrugs

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
Tell him $1800 and that's your final offer.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,194 Posts
There's one on the NS Musicians buy and sell facebook group for $1650 right now. So the way I figure it is that you have two options:

1. Politely decline and buy the cheaper guitar... Keep the friendship intact!
2. Tell your friend he is a dick-wad for trying to rip you off, find better friends and buy the cheaper guitar.

Personally I think calling him out would be more fun, but I lack a filter!

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
There's one on the NS Musicians buy and sell facebook group for $1650 right now. So the way I figure it is that you have two options:

1. Politely decline and buy the cheaper guitar... Keep the friendship intact!
2. Tell you friend he is a dick-wad for trying to rip you off, find better friends and buy the cheaper guitar.

Personally I think calling him out would be more fun, but I lack a filter!
I think that's the same as the kijiji one I posted. I agree with option 2.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
What year is it? Condition? You definitely need much more info to make a decision IMO.

EDIT: If @King Loudness knows and others see that it's a newer model , the price he's asking is nonsense. You can pick up a nice 2016 LP Standard for less than that at L&M FFS:

Search

One thing I'll say though is that no one here knows your friend. Maybe he's just not all that aware of the used guitar market and trends. On the outset I'd say tell him to GTF outta here, but I suppose it's possible he hasn't really put a lot of thought into the price or looked at where this the market is. Sounds like he's basing his price on what he paid for it, not what it's worth.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
888 Posts
$2600 is absurd for that Standard. Your "friend" is ripping you off big time at that price and clearly doesn't value your friendship if he's going to charge you more than most new ones before tax for a used one. It's also not an old guitar -- at best it looks like it's no more than 4-5 years old based on the features, and it's a colour that only some will be into. If my buddy CB's '07 Standard listed here in Halifax can't get $1650, then this guy is beyond dreaming.

I'd offer $1500 or $1600 cash and tell the guy if not you'll just go buy the one in Halifax that we've discussed here; it's a MUCH better deal, and the seller is a straight shooter.

W.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
1500-1700$ is right on. My buddy just got a 2013 LP Traditional, rare Japan export model, for 2100$ brand new and L&M.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Looks like the 2014 standard plus with the 120th anniversary fret marker. I have one of these, paid $1800 used, mine has a AAAA flame maple top, tobacco burst.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m thinking I’m gonna pass and go after that highly priced lado or his 60s hag sweid

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
Definitely not a "friend deal".
Hes either uninformed of realistic values, or not a great friend.
I wouldn't bring cash into this friendship.

·
Premium Member
12,243 Posts
From what I gleaned from the OP, the guy isn't selling the guitar, STBetty offered to buy it.

If I'm selling something, I'm gonna be price-competitive. If someone wants to buy something I'm not trying to sell, I'm going to be less price-competitive and make sure I get enough out of it to either directly replace it or upgrade a bit. Maybe no intention to rip him off - that may be what's going on here.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
From what I gleaned from the OP, the guy isn't selling the guitar, STBetty offered to buy it.

If I'm selling something, I'm gonna be price-competitive. If someone wants to buy something I'm not trying to sell, I'm going to be less price-competitive and make sure I get enough out of it to either directly replace it or upgrade a bit. Maybe no intention to rip him off - that may be what's going on here.

+1 to this. I'm sure many here have owned a guitar they had no interest in selling...unless they could get a "stupid amount" for it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That’s what I figured . He said he didn’t play it often so I asked . I’m guessing really doesn’t want to sell but if he was he’d need enough to replace it . Like at first lain wanted $2500 for his 79 lp custom but ended taking 1500 . Dam I missed out out of that deal
what a guitar . Two years ago I asked lain about his lado and he was hesitant to put a price because he likes it. So he goes “ I need a grand “ so I’m going up this March with the $1000 and asking him again . Going to point out it has been sitting for two years with no offers. If he doesn’t lower I’d still get it . I’m not leaving his place with out it

1 - 20 of 78 Posts