The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at sites like Kijiji and some forums, it seems the Les Paul Studio guitars seem to have a bad reputation.

Why is that-are they not basically a regular LP without the binding and fancy finish?

I saw a couple of used ones today in a store and both well under $1000-cheaper than a lot of imports.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Where do you get that they have a bad rep? They used to be $750 used, now they're $850-$900 and up depending on condition. You can still find older ones for around $800.

I don't think I've met someone who has slammed studios. They're pretty common.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen ads people looking to buy or trade for an LP and have seen the comment "no Studios".

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The only reason people say no studios is because they are Kijijidiots who are hoping some one will offer a 1500-2000$ Les Paul for their 700-800$ guitars.
Studios are great guitars. As good as any other Les Paul out there.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had one for a few years and thought it was a great guitar but sold it to fund a Traditional. I remember the day I sold it I plugged it in and the words "I'm going to regret selling this" went through my head and I wasn't wrong. A gloss studio from the 2000s is a lot of guitar for about $7-800.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I have had a bunch of the more budget friendly gibsons and my usual go too is one of the cheapest with some mods.
I have an lpj that I gutted the pcb and wired 50s style with some motorcity pickups and it's a great guitar. (Far left)
IMG_0027.jpg

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have had a bunch of the more budget friendly gibsons and my usual go too is one of the cheapest with some mods.
I have an lpj that I gutted the pcb and wired 50s style with some motorcity pickups and it's a great guitar. (Far left)
View attachment 214697
Love the Guard Dog!

Epic.

Looks like a grouchy old geezer.

"Stay away from my guitars and get off my rug...kid"

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I don't see any hate for the studio. It's always included in the " Gibson should keep making… " posts. Up there with juniors, specials, traditional's, standards, customs. I own one, and have tried a few, and they played great with my eyes closed. It's a Gibson electric through and through.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Nothing wrong with Studios. I don't like the pickups but those can be changed.
People who write "no Studios" selling/trading something else just want binding.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Looking at sites like Kijiji and some forums, it seems the Les Paul Studio guitars seem to have a bad reputation.

Why is that-are they not basically a regular LP without the binding and fancy finish?

I saw a couple of used ones today in a store and both well under $1000-cheaper than a lot of imports.

I have a Gibson 2010 black Studio/chrome Hardware, i bought New in 2010, Mint, built like a tank, sounds as good as any Les Paul...... i would not take less than $1250. if i was inclined to sell it.
LB

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I like Studios as well. Nice guitars. Quick question though...isn't the Maple cap in the Studio thinner than something like a Standard? Wouldn't that affect the over tone or Timbre of the guitar?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I like Studios as well. Nice guitars. Quick question though...isn't the Maple cap in the Studio thinner than something like a Standard? Wouldn't that affect the over tone or Timbre of the guitar?
I don’t think it is any thinner. I’m pretty sure the difference of top is the grade of wood. So the studios will be plain instead of the nice flame.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I don’t think it is any thinner. I’m pretty sure the difference of top is the grade of wood. So the studios will be plain instead of the nice flame.
It is more a visual/quality thing. Whether it is a veneer or cap will have little difference in the tone. There are lots of discussions and/or arguments on wood tone and the effect on an electric guitar. There are just too many other factors.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
I’ve had 2. My first Gibson was the 2011(?) Fireburst.
Great guitar. Thought I needed a “better “ LP, bought a 120th Anniversary lemon burst classic.
Somewhere in the back of my brain, I feel the Studio was better. IMO.
Oh, and I have the ‘86 black Studio (see avitar) cause, it was a smokin deal that I couldn’t pass up.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts