The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As detailed in another recent thread, I am looking to upgrade my Les Paul. I had originally planned on an R7, but the neck might be a bit much for me so I am also going to check out R8s. In addition, I will borrow an R7 from my local store for a few days to see how my hand adjusts to it (I had always read that thick necks were good for those with arthritis but maybe I am the exception to that rule).

But in addition to Historics, I am also considering a Les Paul Custom. I've always loved the look of them (particularly the black ones), and the neck seems to work for me, so that model is a contender especially as there are a couple available through L&M for decent prices.

What I would like to know though, especially from anyone who might own both a Custom and a Historic, is how the Customs compare in terms of quality, etc. Are the Customs a bit better than Historics? Are they a step below? Or are they on par, simply with a different feel to them?

@guitarman2 was nice enough to offer their opinion in my other thread, but I am hoping to hear from more people in order to get as wide a range of opinions as possible.

I know that I don't like the pickups that come in the Customs but those are an easy swap.

Any info anyone can provide on how Customs and Historics compare to each other would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Not to throw a spanner into the works but check out a Firebird V. I fell ass backwards into buying one a few months ago and it’s now my main guitar. I’ve been looking at Les Pauls lately mostly for something to do but I haven’t really liked any of them. The Firebird is a riffing platform and really easy to play. Initially I thought this guitar was a bit “hey look at me” and it might be but it’s also a really versatile rig and the last guitar that I’d part with.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
As detailed in another recent thread, I am looking to upgrade my Les Paul. I had originally planned on an R7, but the neck might be a bit much for me so I am also going to check out R8s. In addition, I will borrow an R7 from my local store for a few days to see how my hand adjusts to it (I had always read that thick necks were good for those with arthritis but maybe I am the exception to that rule).

But in addition to Historics, I am also considering a Les Paul Custom. I've always loved the look of them (particularly the black ones), and the neck seems to work for me, so that model is a contender especially as there are a couple available through L&M for decent prices.

What I would like to know though, especially from anyone who might own both a Custom and a Historic, is how the Customs compare in terms of quality, etc. Are the Customs a bit better than Historics? Are they a step below? Or are they on par, simply with a different feel to them?

@guitarman2 was nice enough to offer their opinion in my other thread, but I am hoping to hear from more people in order to get as wide a range of opinions as possible.

I know that I don't like the pickups that come in the Customs but those are an easy swap.

Any info anyone can provide on how Customs and Historics compare to each other would be appreciated.
I have played and owned quite a few Gibsons and I feel once you get to the Custom Shop level it just comes down to personal preference and the individual guitar. I usually try as many as I can and wait until one calls my name ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I think, depending on year of production, some LPC's were Custom Shop guitars and some were Gibson USA guitars. I would expect the CS guitars to be on par with the Historics, The USA ones probably not, but maybe close enough. I would also expect the CS guitars to command a premium.

I own a 40 year old LPC, but that means it's a Norlin and therefore a complete POS and totally junk ----- and a guitar I would never part with. Certainly no CS guitar, but we've 'bonded', you could say.

It looks like the current production LPC's are CS guitars, if you're looking 'new'.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think, depending on year of production, some LPC's were Custom Shop guitars and some were Gibson USA guitars.
That is absolutely correct. They moved to the Custom Shop in '04.

I own a 40 year old LPC, but that means it's a Norlin and therefore a complete POS and totally junk ----- and a guitar I would never part with. Certainly no CS guitar, but we've 'bonded', you could say.
I would take a Norlin LPC any damned day, except maybe for the weight. A friend from another forum had one and I swear he could have anchored a boat with the damned thing - and I ain't talkin' no little boat, he coulda anchored the Queen Mary with it!

It looks like the current production LPC's are CS guitars, if you're looking 'new'.

The ones I'm looking at are a few years old, but Custom Shop models.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I would take a Norlin LPC any damned day, except maybe for the weight. A friend from another forum had one and I swear he could have anchored a boat with the damned thing - and I ain't talkin' no little boat, he coulda anchored the Queen Mary with it!
Yea, I've played some that were 12+ lbs. I feel lucky that mine's right at 10 lbs. Just a nice weight for a Lester, IMO.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I've played some that were 12+ lbs. I feel lucky that mine's right at 10 lbs. Just a nice weight for a Lester, IMO.

Someone on Kijiji has an '80 Custom for sale/trade. Apparently it has T-Tops. Out of curiosity I contacted him and he is willing to trade for my Gold Top + $1300.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Someone on Kijiji has an '80 Custom for sale/trade. Apparently it has T-Tops. Out of curiosity I contacted him and he is willing to trade for my Gold Top + $1300.
T-tops are great pickups - I never changed then in mine. Necks are quite a small, flat carve though, especially compared to R7/R8's. And 3 piece maple, if that matters to you.

Reactions: colchar

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
The original Les Paul Customs from the 50s were all mahogany, but when Gibson brought them back in ‘68 they had a maple cap & have ever since. The only exception is the Historic R7 Black Beauty, which is all mahogany.

Necks varied as the years progressed (i.e. 1 pce mahogany, 3 pce. mahogany or 3 pce. maple), and for a while in the mid 70s, pancake bodies were de rigueur.

I’ve owned a few Norlins (‘74 Custom, ‘77 Artisan & ‘80 Custom), modern Custom Shop Customs (‘04 & ‘05) and Historic R7 Black Beauties (‘06 & ??). My least favourite was the ‘04 & due to the weight, pickups (498/490) & slim neck. Despite being CS guitars, the CS Customs also have a short neck tenon. They are a notch below Historics IMO.

If I was in the market I would seek out an ‘81-87 with Shaw pickups, an R7 BB or a 68 RI - - these are harder to find, but come in several colours.

But as previously stated, you have to play the actual guitar itself as there is so much variation. I’ve played a late 70s (maple cap, maple neck, ebony board) that should have been a very bright guitar, but was dull & muddy when A/B’d with an R9 that should have been darker due to the mahogany neck & RW board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts