The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any owners of the 2015 Gibson LP's here?

I was quite set on a 2016 but one of my local stores has a sale on the 2015 models. They are ~$400 cheaper than the 2016's.

One of the huge negatives ive heard about the 2015 line up is glitches and malfunctions with the guitar's electronic tuning system.

Has anyone experienced this first hand?

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I cannot comment on the reliability of the G force system, but playing around with it at Long & McQuade left me with a good impression. Unfortunately, I hate the neck shape on the 2015's, so I don't think I will ever own one. They are totally different than the '14s and any year before that.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I personally wouldn't touch the 2015's. There is a lot more that I don't like about them than just the G-Force system. I am a traditionalist, largely due to my age (58), and would not be happy with a wider fretboard, or a brass nut. I also think that the new "screw-less" pickguard is a stupid, unnecessary complication since aftermarket parts that are compatible with it won't exist., and the list goes on. They screwed the pooch in 2015, and they know it, which is why the 2016 T series went back to basics.

As for your original question about the G-Force, here are my thoughts. I learned how to tune my guitar 45 years ago, and if I need any help, a $10 clip on tuner does the job. I don't want the added weight, the need to recharge something else (already have too many night time charges going), and if you ever want to tune manually - THE KEYS TURN BACKWARDS. Can you believe that? How stupid could they be?

I wouldn't take a 2015 if you sold it to me for the price of a MIM Strat. Really.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally wouldn't touch the 2015's. There is a lot more that I don't like about them than just the G-Force system. I am a traditionalist, largely due to my age (58), and would not be happy with a wider fretboard, or a brass nut. I also think that the new "screw-less" pickguard is a stupid, unnecessary complication since aftermarket parts that are compatible with it won't exist., and the list goes on. They screwed the pooch in 2015, and they know it, which is why the 2016 T series went back to basics.

As for your original question about the G-Force, here are my thoughts. I learned how to tune my guitar 45 years ago, and if I need any help, a $10 clip on tuner does the job. I don't want the added weight, the need to recharge something else (already have too many night time charges going), and if you ever want to tune manually - THE KEYS TURN BACKWARDS. Can you believe that? How stupid could they be?

I wouldn't take a 2015 if you sold it to me for the price of a MIM Strat. Really.
I really do appreciate your feedback on both of my threads. As a teenager myself, your skill and experience most definitely outweighs mine.

Thanks for your comments :)

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
otoh, i gotta give them props for the 2016s that come with the better neck heel. i need to get out there and play one, so i can see what it's like. not that i could own one, but still, it's gotta be nice to play.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 2016's come in two varieties. The more traditional feature set is included on the models that have a "T" designation (traditional) in their model names, and the 2015 feature set is included on the models that have "HP" (high performance) in their model names.

High Performance? Thats laughable. They've switched from brass to titanium for the zero fret nut. I had read that the brass wasn't durable enough. They still have the G-Force system, extra wide fretboard and the screwless pickguard (some models appear to come without the pickguard installed). The crayon writing on the headstock is gone - thats one small cosmetic improvement. They seem to have learned very little. I would imagine that the quality on the both sets of models is very good, so if you like these features, it will probably be a great guitar for you. But if you are like me, and felt that the Les Paul was perfected back in the late 50's, the "T" models are the better choice for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are there any owners of the 2015 Gibson LP's here?

I was quite set on a 2016 but one of my local stores has a sale on the 2015 models. They are ~$400 cheaper than the 2016's.

One of the huge negatives ive heard about the 2015 line up is glitches and malfunctions with the guitar's electronic tuning system.

Has anyone experienced this first hand?
I own one an have had no problems

·
Registered
84 Posts
TRIMIX - I am curious, how long does the battery last before you recharge it, is it removable, and can you charge it OUTSIDE of the tuning system?

·
Registered
26 Posts
TRIMIX - I am curious, how long does the battery last before you recharge it, is it removable, and can you charge it OUTSIDE of the tuning system?
yes the battery is removable that's hows it charges charging time is about 15 20 min iam still on the first charge lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
Exhausted - Thanks for the link. I read some of their literature, and I now realize that the comment I made earlier about the tuning gears going the wrong way is only partly true. Apparently, the low strings turn backwards, and the high string turn in the normal direction. That might be even worse, but I am not sure ... either way, its not for me.

·
Premium Member
16,971 Posts
If you can afford a 2015/2016 Gibson, you are far better served buying a used one that is tried and true IMO. My friend has an LP with E-tune, he quickly got rid of them and bought my Gibson tuners from my studio model.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Had a 2015 Gibson Les Paul studio and didn't like it - quickly returned it within a few days - tuning was inaccurate with the G-Force - I probably had a bad one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts