The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a stupid question but i have no choice but to ask

i have a 2016 Gibson J45 guitar. Today for fun i plugged it into my tube amp (Excelsior) just to see what it sounded like. When i plugged it in and turned the volume up on the guitars electronics, the low E string started to vibrate on it own. When i stopped the vibration and took my hand off the low E again it started to vibrate again all on its own. This is not a little buzz either, the string is vibrating like it was plucked, except it sustains the vibration until i turn the vol down.

At first I thought it was feedback but everything is completely silent until the string starts moving on it own.

I am relatively new to guitar playing so maybe this is normal but it doesnt seem normal. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Once got a similar problem with Taylor 510 with K&K combo (underbridge and undersaddle) I plugged in a Behringer 1800FX (a keyboard amp) that otherwise worked normally before : my guitar went mad, making a huge vibrating woof. Got the amp checked : everything was ok ! The K&K still works normally also.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
I use a LR Baggs Venue DI. It has a notch filter that you can tune out whatever frequency is feeding back. It is pretty common playing live. Certain spots on the stage, usually in from of a monitor, will feed back like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts