• Neither, is the tone I prefer.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of these guitars are loved worldwide and most of us would be happy with either one. Do you own one and which do you prefer?

Reactions: Lincoln

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
A lot of musicians who in my opinion have great live acoustic sound, play the J-45 but unamplified, I found they sounded kind of "muffled". They must have really good pickups.

The new redesigned for 2012 D-18 sounded chimey and full. Much better than the pre 2012 D-18s.

I bought a 2014 D-18e Retro.

One interesting thing I've heard is that the J-45 is actually better for singer songwriter types as it's a bit "scooped" in the mids which gives the vocals some room whereas the D-18 is just full across the board. Maybe that accounts for the muffled sound. Not sure.

Here's my D-18.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
All I know is that they'd sound fantastic being played together at the same time. It would be a pretty huge sound. That's only judging from what I got out of the J45 when I tried one out though. It was killer. No real experience with either though.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I like them both. I’ve found I like a mahogany acoustic. If I had to pick, I’d have a really hard time, but the J-45 is my favourite. It would depend on the individual specimens available on the day.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I listened to 3 or 4 minutes of the OP video and didn’t like either of them all that much notwithstanding that I have a D18 which I really like.

Not slagging Gibson but I’ve never played one of their acoustics in a store and said to myself “I have to buy that guitar” whereas with my HD35 and HD28V it was “I don’t want to spend the money but I can’t let this guitar get away.”

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Can't find my category in the poll choices : Both are under 1 3/4" nut width, aren't they.
I guess I would like the sound of both of them but I prefer Martin OOO-18 and Gibson L-1/L-OO models I own...
I would like to compare Martin D-18 and Taylor 510, though.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't find my category in the poll choices : Both are under 1 3/4" nut width, aren't they?
I guess I would like the sound of both of them but I prefer Martin OOO-18 and Gibson L-1/L-OO models I own...
I would like to compare Martin D-18 and Taylor 510, though.
Only the J45. The D-18 is 1 3/4". Martin has changed most of their nut widths to 1 3/4" in the last year or so.

Martin D-18 - Maury's Music

Reactions: mawmow

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts