The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at this out of curiosity and noticed that it had a 1.75" nut width on it.. Are the engineers at Gibson finally listening? What's a little strange is the a lot of the big acoustic mfrs. are changing over to 1.75" nut on their acoustics but most of Gibson's remain at 1 11/16".

Gibson 2016 Les Paul Standard HP Electric Guitar

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Their standard on acoustics appears to be 1,725" with some exceptions : Keb Mo some 1,8" and some L-1 at 1,75"

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is from "the 2016 lineup". Less looking, more reading :)
I didn't think I needed to do that and am very disappointed in the rest of the members here in not letting me know about this model.:)

Seriously, the only others I know that offer the wider nut in electrics is Eastman, Godin (on a couple models) and Rondo (lots of models + all custom models)

Their standard on acoustics appears to be 1,725" with some exceptions : Keb Mo some 1,8" and some L-1 at 1,75"
True. I looked them all up a few months ago as I was interested in a Hummingbird. I tried some out a few weeks ago just for fun and the tone didn't do it for me.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
13,086 Posts
My weak puny little girly man hand says 1.75" nuts is sToOpId !!

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can take a picture of it if you are interested.
I actually looked it up at MF. It seems to be a pretty decent guitar. All I would do if I bought one is change the nut so I get the wider spacing.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Interesting that they widened the neck but left the string spacing alone. I take it there is a lot of room at the edge of the fret board?
Yes there is.

A lot of the 2015s are like that. Since the spacing is the same it only takes about 2 seconds to get used to the wider neck the first time you pick one up.

I have a 2015 LPJ and a 2015 Firebird and I like the wide neck on them plus they both have small frets which I also like. The robosnappers and metal nut had been changed on the 2015 LPJ when I got it used. I switch between these and a telecaster no problem.

The wide neck might effect resonance. Unplugged, my 2015 LPJ sounds louder than my 2018 LPJ which has the more standard neck width. Also, when playing the 2018 LPJ (unplugged) the volume is more from the right side (body) whereas with the 2015 you can notice a little more from the left side sorta like adjusting the balance on a stereo. Plugged in there is a noticeable difference between them as well although that could be because the pickups are different. But, whatever, the two LPJs are certainly different in sound but the playability because of the necks is a non issue. And that said, the 2018 LPJ has a god damn awesome neck carve on it. So I’m happy to have one of each ... lol

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine has a bone nut installed and no robot tuners.
They must have made a few different models. That is Gibson's way of doing things, though. I think I would take those robot tuners off anyway. My thumbs and fingers still allow me to turn the tuning knobs just fine.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
They must have made a few different models. That is Gibson's way of doing things, though. I think I would take those robot tuners off anyway. My thumbs and fingers still allow me to turn the tuning knobs just fine.
Are you being deliberately obtuse... lol

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Mine was relplaced by the original owner and chances are if you got a 2015 the robot tuners would be relplaced already.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine was relplaced by the original owner and chances are if you got a 2015 the robot tuners would be relplaced already.
I wondered about that. When he replaced the nut, do you think he changed the original spacing? Gibson made wide nut with the 1 11/16" spacing so bends would be easier and supposedly not slip off the edge of the fret board. I was going to ask if you bought it new or used.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 27 Posts