The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
It's imbedded in the serial number.

The most sustainable numbering system Gibson was launched in 1977, an eight-digit number. The first and fifth digit representing the year of manufacture. The three intermediate digits, the day of that year. The digits to six to eight gave the serial number.

After opening of the new factory in Nashville, in the sequence numbers were also included the production site. 001 to 499 appeared on the instruments built in Kalamazoo, 500 to 999 built in Nashville.

Even after the closing of the factory in Kalamazoo in 1984, this process was continued until 1989 in Nashville.

In 2005 the system was upgraded to first digit at the end of the batch number was inserted. The sequence numbers were 500 to 699, after which the batch number 1 was increased, and the number returned 500.

This is snipped from this site:

Gibson Guitars Serial Numbers Decoder - GuitarInsite

·
Premium Member
12,209 Posts
Early Custom Shop / special run for a retailer? It's not following the usual pattern Gibson used in regular production run guitars.

You might try emailing them. I hear they have a new boss and they're all eager to please right now.

Reactions: Rozz

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Kalamazoo production was pretty spotty from '82 to '84. Check the control cavity for an impressed 8 digit serial, if it has one it's Kalamazoo. Also, small black dot side markers = Nashville while slightly larger tortoise markers = Kalamazoo.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You'd be looking for an impressed number along the rim of the control cavity like this:

Small black side dots is indicative of Nashville. If there's no impressed serial I think you can be pretty sure that's the case.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Or serialized in '84 and electronics installed in '85. Either way...
I can detect the '85 date on at least two of the four pots, and I can clearly see a "1" after the year indicating the pots were made between week 10 to week 19 at latest, which would bring us between last week of February to the fourth week of April of 1985. I've read many times that Gibson would obtain and install the pots shortly after they were manufactured, so I would guess this guitar was made in the late winter/spring of '85.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I can detect the '85 date on at least two of the four pots, and I can clearly see a "1" after the year indicating the pots were made between week 10 to week 19 at latest, which would bring us between last week of February to the fourth week of April of 1985. I've read many times that Gibson would obtain and install the pots shortly after they were manufactured, so I would guess this guitar was made in the late winter/spring of '85.
Except that CTS commonly "post dated" their pots. Based on the '84 serial I'd still be inclined to call it an '84. Pots could even be replacements.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts