The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Gibson Experts. Is this legit?

1K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  traynor_garnet 
#1 ·
#9 ·
The fake Les Paul Customs I’ve seen had a smaller symbol on the headstock. About 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a real one. The real one should reach the pegheads as yours does, so one more indication it might be real. China could always improve their head stocks but it’s another thing to be aware of.

#22 ·
The serial is visible in the pic. For those who know more about the numbers than I do, it appears to be stamped '2015'. Would that be appropriate for a 2018 model?

Strange that it's stamped 2018 but was built on Sept 26, 2017 (in Nashville). Wonder why the two different dates?

Reactions: jdto
#24 ·
They released the 2018 models in late 2017, as @BSTheTech mentioned.

@Rozz you’re right about the reissues, so who knows about this one? Maybe as a special run, it gets a different serial? On Gibson’s website, it’s not a specific year reissue, so perhaps that’s why it doesn’t have a reissue serial number.
ES-355 VOS w/Bigsby

@jb welder I agree the stamping looks a bit weird there. Maybe someone might have goofed up with the year stamp?

I think it’s worth checking out in person to verify these details (or asking for more photos via Kijiji).

#25 ·
@Rozz you’re right about the reissues, so who knows about this one? Maybe as a special run, it gets a different serial? On Gibson’s website, it’s not a specific year reissue, so perhaps that’s why it doesn’t have a reissue serial number.
Yeah, you could be right jd. Gibson always seems to be doing 'special runs' for L&M, Sam Ash, G.C. etc. hoping to sell more guitars than they would normally...makes it tough to identify their guitars sometimes.

Reactions: jdto
#26 ·
Thanks for all the great insights!

I don't live close to the seller so I cannot simply pop over and play it (I'm in a different province). Since the seller bought it used on Reverb, he must likely does not have an original receipt.

The aliexpress links scare the hell out of me!

TG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.