The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I would think being a 2018, he would have all the receipts, paperwork, etc. That would be a good place to start. If he doesn't have them, I would walk away.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
If those are pics of the actual guitar it is authentic. As Guitar101 said, the case and case candy are important. There is even the Gibson guitar tool in the pic of the case candy.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. If anyone else has comments please let me know. I may contact him and ask a few preliminary questions.

TG

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Thanks guys. If anyone else has comments please let me know. I may contact him and ask a few preliminary questions.

TG
He has the COA in the last picture.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I wouldn’t leave that too long if you are seriously interested. Good price and a great guitar. I had a 2016 and foolishly moved it along.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has the COA in the last picture.
I assume those are easy to fake too, no?

I rarely bother looking at expensive guitars on Kijiji because I don’t want to get ripped off, but this guitar is everything I want at almost half the new price.

Seller did not buy it new (Reverb) so I wonder why it has changed hands at least twice.

Thanks for the info
TG

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The fake Les Paul Customs I’ve seen had a smaller symbol on the headstock. About 1/2 to 3/4 the size of a real one. The real one should reach the pegheads as yours does, so one more indication it might be real. China could always improve their head stocks but it’s another thing to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I assume those are easy to fake too, no?

I rarely bother looking at expensive guitars on Kijiji because I don’t want to get ripped off, but this guitar is everything I want at almost half the new price.

Seller did not buy it new (Reverb) so I wonder why it has changed hands at least twice.

Thanks for the info
TG
They used to ship Chibsons with the warranty booklet/COA, but I haven't heard of that for a long time. Those ones weren't getting into the country anymore.

If I were interested I would ask for the serial # and contact Gibson; they are really good about helping to identify fakes or B Stock guitars. If he knows where the guitar was originally purchased, you can also check with them.

From what I saw it looks real. The headstock is a great place to start. That one has the three-piece headstock which is a detail often omitted in Chibsons. The logo looks right and the diamond inlays look right. Another place to check is the bridge. The bridge pins on a Chibson 99% of the time(I would say 100%, but I don't know that for fact) have a slit at the top for a screwdriver. Stock Gibson bridges don't. It is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the right kind of pin.

You have to be careful for sure.

If you go to check it out, I would low-ball the guy badly. If he jumps at it, it is time to 'go to the bank' and forget to come back. If he gets offended tell him why you did it. He still wants to sell his guitar and if you make a real offer he won't feel the sticker shock as much ;-)

As for why it is moving around, might be a problem, but might not. I bought a LP originally purchased new in 2005. It was purchased new from L&M for nearly $3000.00 tax in(I have the original receipt). By the time the guitar got to me, it had passed through several people who never bonded with it.

I saw it listed on CL for $1700.00 and it sold. Then I saw it listed again in a bout 6 months for $1500.00. They guy was close so I went to look at it and picked it up for $1450.00. I took it out of the case when I first got home and I could still smell the nitro finish. This was only four years ago so the guitar was early ten years old. An obvious case Queen. I thought uh oh what is wrong with this guitar? That guitar now has flat frets because I have played it so much and has been 'aged' substantially elsewhere.

I always offer the guy what I think I can get for it if I want to re-sell it. Maybe it is just me, but I can't properly evaluate a guitar in 10 minutes in a store or guy's house with someone else's gear. So I might want to sell it in a month or two.

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Short answer: seems legit

I'd be more interested in his 1987 LP Custom though

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If I were interested I would ask for the serial # and contact Gibson; they are really good about helping to identify fakes or B Stock guitars. If he knows where the guitar was originally purchased, you can also check with them.
The serial is visible in the pic. For those who know more about the numbers than I do, it appears to be stamped '2015'. Would that be appropriate for a 2018 model?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The serial is visible in the pic. For those who know more about the numbers than I do, it appears to be stamped '2015'. Would that be appropriate for a 2018 model?

Only if it was sold in 2018 as NOS. Those tuning machines look a lot more worn than a 2018. Seems unlikely the guy would list it as a 2018 if the 2015 date was stamped on it. Typo?

PS How did you get that big picture? lol

PPS Here is a link to a bunch of Chibson counterfeits if people want to familiarize themselves so they don't get cheated. Check out the bridge pins.

Buy es 335 bigsby and get free shipping on AliExpress.com

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Only if it was sold in 2018 as NOS. Those tuning machines look a lot more worn than a 2018. Seems unlikely the guy would list it as a 2018 if the 2015 date was stamped on it. Typo?
The tuners are worn because it’s a VOS finish.

It looks legit to me and @jb welder that looks like an 8 there when I zoom in.

·
Registered
401 Posts
man, if the Chibson's are getting that good...why buy Gibson !! :)

that's a pretty good price, seems last couple years the es 335 and variants are very popular and prices are up (sucks if you are buying).

go play it !

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have seen a fake and it had a one piece headstock and this one is clearly a 3 piece, so that’s another good sign.

I agree with the previous post get a look at the receipt

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The tuners are worn because it’s a VOS finish.

Of course, I stand corrected. I was thrown off because VOS finishes are usually reserved for reissues and all re-issued ES 335s have serial numbers starting with A or B since 1995...and I was beginning to get suspsicious. lol

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
dbl post sorry

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
PS How did you get that big picture? lol
How I do it in firefox:
1) right click on pic and choose 'copy image location'
2) Open new tab
3) right click in address bar and choose 'paste & go'
4)image now shows up with +magnifier to click on

Suggest he looks at that with a magnifying glass. To me it looks like the lower circle of the '8' is open on the left side rather than closed. And the upper circle appears to have a flat top.

I'm not saying it's fake, just that he may have the year wrong which may impact the supposed 'new retail' comparative price. But I would think the COA would have the year more obvious.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts