The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2009 Fender Stratocaster HSS Deluxe, Mayones Duvell Elite, Martin DX1
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many will be interested in these because of the pricepoint, but Gibson Custombuckers are now available for order through Long and McQuade. Just picked one up (Double Black - uncovered) to try in the neck position of my Gibson Les Paul Standard. There should also be zebra and covered variants of this pickup available.

· Premium Member
3,852 Posts
I have two guitars with Custombuckers and they sound pretty good, but for $300+ each, they’d better! I look forward to hearing your impressions once you’ve got it installed in your LP.

The backstory on current Custombuckers is interesting in that they apparently were made to sound like Jimmy Page’s #1, rather than to be exact PAF clones. Gibson is also reportedly looking to make more accurate PAF replicas in the near future.

Source:
Post in thread 'Hey it's Mat from Gibson Product Development - AMA'
Hey it's Mat from Gibson Product Development - AMA

· Registered
1,383 Posts
Those are great pickups.

But that's one thing I definitely think isn't something to buy from any local retailer and that's pickups. It's like they're platinum or something. They either have to order them in or they are crazy expensive. Even with the exchange rate, it's much more inexpensive on eBay or even Amazon for the exact same pickup. I never understood that specifically for pickups, it's been like that for decades with retailers (and off topic: car tires too).

· Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Those are great pickups.

But that's one thing I definitely think isn't something to buy from any local retailer and that's pickups. It's like they're platinum or something. They either have to order them in or they are crazy expensive. Even with the exchange rate, it's much more inexpensive on eBay or even Amazon for the exact same pickup. I never understood that specifically for pickups, it's been like that for decades with retailers (and off topic: car tires too).
In the case of Gibson products, I think Long & McQuade might have an advantage since Yorkville is the Canadian distributor. But yeah, we’ll see what pricing looks like as more of these hit the market. Of course, that’s for new pricing. Guys do pull them from their guitars and sell them used.

· Registered
2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2009 Fender Stratocaster HSS Deluxe, Mayones Duvell Elite, Martin DX1
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fully know that I'm paying a premium here, but even the used/secondhand ones that are available aren't much cheaper. Maybe this eventually brings the price down. I've heard great things about these pickups and the SD SH-1 (59) that I currently have in the neck of my Les Paul is a little dark/undefined for my taste. So, I'm willing to give it a shot. Plus, I'd be lying if I said Adam Jones having a Custombucker in the neck of his Les Paul Custom didn't peak my interest. Ill definitely post a little blurb about my experience when I receive and get this installed.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Price is not too crazy either if you compare it to Throback pickups... that's expensive but it seems to be in the range of good boutique PU.
I don't see the option for the other version though, with cover.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Price is not too crazy either if you compare it to Throback pickups... that's expensive but it seems to be in the range of good boutique PU.
I don't see the option for the other version though, with cover.
You may have to reach out to their web team. I did this morning and they added the specific one I posted 20 mins later. Sweetwater and Gibson both have Double Black, Zebra and Nickel/Gold Covered versions posted.

· Registered
8,364 Posts
Not sure how many will be interested in these because of the pricepoint, but Gibson Custombuckers are now available for order through Long and McQuade. Just picked one up (Double Black - uncovered) to try in the neck position of my Gibson Les Paul Standard. There should also be zebra and covered variants of this pickup available.

Let me know how they sound in your standard. Before I bought my R8 last night I was considering the custombuckers to put in my Standard. One big reason I decided against it is that the standard neck gave me some issues where as the R8 neck is perfect.
I love the tone of the custombuckers.

· Premium Member
5,771 Posts
I'd prefer to buy new. Buying used you could be getting anything. I think the cost is reasonable.

Reactions: numb41 and jdto

· Premium Member
3,888 Posts
My understanding is Burstbuckers were initially available only in CS guitars, then in the 2000s were put into standard production guitars and available to buy separately. By the late 2000s I think they were even put into some Studios.

Custombuckers have only been available in CS Gibsons for about 10 years, and used prices are up there. Having them available as parts I wonder if we'll see them eventually put into Standards etc ?

· Premium Member
5,771 Posts
You say that because there are no markings to really ID these? It seems any Burstbucker with the paper "made by" sticker removed look superficially like a Custombucker.
Exactly.

Reactions: tomee2

· Premium Member
3,852 Posts
My understanding is Burstbuckers were initially available only in CS guitars, then in the 2000s were put into standard production guitars and available to buy separately. By the late 2000s I think they were even put into some Studios.

Custombuckers have only been available in CS Gibsons for about 10 years, and used prices are up there. Having them available as parts I wonder if we'll see them eventually put into Standards etc ?
The most recent iteration of Custombuckers had some design tweaks in 2017. Apparently the main change was to no longer use wax potting.

· Registered
8,364 Posts
@guitarman2 after all your talk about a new R9/R8 are we gonna get a new guitar day? Did you buy that one in Branford?

· Premium Member
5,771 Posts
Just buy yourself an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Outfit and a pair of these, instant R9 - save yourself $6620. And it will be better than a Gibson (think I read that somewhere)

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,582 Posts
Just buy yourself an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Outfit and a pair of these, instant R9 - save yourself $6620. And it will be better than a Gibson (think I read that somewhere)
Do go on, I think I would like to hear more :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts