The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I've owned both models and each of them was a great guitar in it's own right. It's really not about the wood and other material costs though. If that were the case, there'd likely be less than a $100 difference between the two guitars. Gibson would argue that the difference is in the details and how much time & attention is put into creating each one. Not saying that justifies any difference in their respective margins as new instruments or the final price difference to consumers but...that's the argument as I understand it.

Keep in mind that Gibson Custom builds the LP Special in limited numbers now (so they're ~$5K) so used prices have definitely gone up and are holding steady. Still, that model is available via private sales for considerably less than the one you've linked to and the real world price difference isn't as great as you might think. BOTH are great instruments though.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I just noticed this post and, strangely enough, I JUST picked up a 2014 Les Paul Special LTD (like the one you linked to at L&M) this week on the used market. I've owned the Custom Shop version of this guitar, a 1993 version and now this one and I can honestly say that I don't know that I can tell the difference quality-wise, sound-wise or in playability. The ONLY reason I think that I'd be motivated to spend twice the money (or more) on a used CS version would be the fact that it's the only one that is available in "true" TV Yellow, the others are simply yellow. I am a sucker for TV Yellow JRs.

This is the LP Special LTD I just got...

IMG_7478.jpg

Regarding StevieMac's comment that the CS version of the LP Special only being available as a $5K + special order. The L&M not far from my house just recently brought one in. It was stunning. I can't remember what the finish was called but Dog Hair something comes to mind. I believe it was around $5,700 and it didn't last more than a week or two before someone grabbed it. Beautiful guitar.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
889 Posts
I've had both an '07 CS Special (TV yellow DC) and one of the 2014 TV yellow SC models. The L&M edition single cut was a much heavier guitar as far as weight (I seem to recall it was almost 10lbs) and had a baked maple fingerboard as opposed to rosewood on the CS Special. My other thoughts were that neither guitar seemed to hold tune very well, and that the pickups in both were both fairly appropriate. I had the 2014 LP much more recently (earlier this year) but very quickly ended up trading it for a regular BJA Jr.

W.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
For $5K+ I’d take a vintage Jr./Special any day of the week. I know that if it’s clean it won’t be TV Yellow, but that’s fine by me as it will weigh well <10 lbs.

As I tell my wife all the time, “There’s nothing better than old wood!”

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Hey @JethroTech : Does your 2014 have a silksilkscreened or inlaid Gibson logo? The 2016 LTD is inlaid (as was your '93 I assume).

I agree with King Loudness about the weight differences as well. The '07 CS Special I just sold was much closer to 7 lbs and was of course 1-piece, with a beautiful finish...

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
As much as I am a fan/buyer of R4-9, Korina Vee/Ex & some of the great Strat & Tele replicas built by Fender, Underwood, etc. (I can’t afford a 50s LP Std. or a pre-CBS Strat) I truly don’t understand why there are reissues of vintage guitars that are still relatively affordable. I will gladly pay $1K more (or in some cases less - a white ‘74 Les Paul Custom comes to mind) for the real deal.

Besides the $5K Jr./Special, a few that come to mind are the ES-330, Randy Rhoads LP Custom & Epiphone Wilshire/Coronet.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
52CB77ED-C409-4E66-9F7A-F82016063AB4.jpeg
Hey @StevieMac . It appears to be silkscreen...

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
Regarding StevieMac's comment that the CS version of the LP Special only being available as a $5K + special order. The L&M not far from my house just recently brought one in. It was stunning. I can't remember what the finish was called but Dog Hair something comes to mind. I believe it was around $5,700 and it didn't last more than a week or two before someone grabbed it. Beautiful guitar.
Gibson Custom 2017 Limited Run Les Paul Special Double Cut Electric Guitar

special 2.png

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts