The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thinline archtop has a carved spruce top and carved mahogany back and sides. Has a snappier 25.5" scale. Lower bout is a nice 15". Ebony bridge and baseplate I like the understated design. Pricey - $5500 Cdn.

Modern Archtop

As I have stated in the past, I have no problem with Richlite. Feels, sounds good, looks fine, that is more than good enough. Would have like ebony a wee bit more though.

Reactions: Morkolo and greco

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Colours are a hard choice

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
that headstock looks strange to me?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
VERY Nice!! (except for the price).

What about this colour?

I prefer the red but the price has a lot of marketing costs built into it.

·
Premium Member
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No doubt, but there are other factors. Gibsons like this are more labour intensive . Finishing, making the carved tops. It has different design characteristics. And it is a limited series, which means there is no profit in numbers. And likely some mark-up to try and get back a few bucks to help cover its debt load.

I prefer the red but the price has a lot of marketing costs built into it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I spoke to a sales person recently who had been to the Gibson, Martin and other American factories.
His observation was that Gibson guitars were made with more human labour than any other manufacturer.
This didn't, in his opinion, make them better, just more costly to produce.
In a past life I installed production robots.
People are better.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Considering it's all carved and a Custom Shop run of only 25 guitars I think the price is about what I'd expect.
Yes, from Gibson. Carving is not difficult and the carving is likely done mostly by machine. But that is where these companies make their big margins. People will buy them because there are only 25 and they can say they have something unique that only 24 other people have.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Carving is not difficult ......... WRONG.

....and the carving is likely done mostly by machine. WRONG AGAIN. 2 for 2. Your utube kung foo not so good, eh?

As was said, carve solid woods moves the price up a bit, compared to all the laminated and shaped archtops out there. The sonic difference would be negligible, though. For the price difference, I'd go with one of these, used. I also like the shape a bit more.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Reactions: vadsy

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yes. Have you never seen videos of how this is done?
Yes I have. I get it, there are jigs and some powered hand tools involved in rough shaping but it's still a labour intensive and skilled job, especially the final finish work. Gibson still uses a lot of the same tooling they used back in the 1930's. Certainly nothing like the CNC technology used on solid bodies these days.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yes I have. I get it, there are jigs and some powered hand tools involved in rough shaping but it's still a labour intensive and skilled job, especially the final finish work. Gibson still uses a lot of the same tooling they used back in the 1930's. Certainly nothing like the CNC technology used on solid bodies these days.
You may be right and I may be wrong. However, I am very cynical. I know how marketing works with big companies and you can never believe what they say. They are as crooked as they can be and that goes for most of them, not just Gibson. Remember, they are out to make money and just use musical instruments to achieve that.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Every business out there is in the business of making money, that's why they're in business. I've spent the last 19 years working for two different multi national corporations so I get the extent to which business is often willing to go to to maximize profits.
I certainly agree that having the Gibson name on the headstock may add a few bucks to the price tag but that just shows that they've done a good job on branding. And quite frankly in my opinion they've earned it. Over a century of innovation and quality have earned them that right. I know there are many other builders out there building guitars that are as good or better for less money. I'm a Fender guy and I know there are better Fender style guitars made by other makers that are better than Fenders often at a cheaper price but more than once I've paid more to have that Fender decal on the headstock. It's really a some that can't be quantified and it goes beyond the sum of the physical parts that make up the instrument. I enjoy the experience of playing a guitar that's part of a long history and legacy of the music I love. I'm sure the same goes for Gibson guys. For that reason I never, either directly or indirectly, criticize any one else's choice of guitars.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Carving is not difficult ......... WRONG.

....and the carving is likely done mostly by machine. WRONG AGAIN. 2 for 2. Your utube kung foo not so good, eh?
i watched them do it with a cnc machine at prs a few days ago. when finished, there were some very fine ridges left from the bit, which they then took an orbital sander to. using progressively softer paper. i don't know if that's how gibby does it, but it can be done that way, and apparently at least one of the big names is doing it. so if it is done by cnc, which is highly likely, it's not that difficult. the machine does the tough part, after that it's just sanding. doing the carve by hand in this day and age would be stupid. there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing it by hand.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Wrong: there's the uniqueness of each build and the upcharge that comes with it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts