The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm considering picking up a classic 59 pickup from someone, how can I tell that this is the real thing and not a copy (As this is a purchase, and I've been burned before)??? The bottom of the pickup has no identifying markings, and the lead wire coming from it is covered in gray cloth. (The interweb has been less than helpful :S). The shape of the pickup tabs where they screw into look identical to that of the Gibson. Heres a pic, the top one should be a dimarzio dp100 too correct?

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Where's the pic ???

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
I see nothing - just your text.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I assume you mean the 57 classic, but from your picture there isn't much to identify it.

I know the new Gibson 57 classics have a "black patent applied for" sticker, come standard with a cover (gold or silver) and generally they have a braided steel shielding over the wire. It could be a 57 that had the cover and sticker removed, but who knows?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I assume you mean the 57 classic, but from your picture there isn't much to identify it.

I know the new Gibson 57 classics have a "black patent applied for" sticker, come standard with a cover (gold or silver) and generally they have a braided steel shielding over the wire. It could be a 57 that had the cover and sticker removed, but who knows?
No sorry.. .this was listed as a 59" classic. Which also made me wonder you know. Can anyone confirm the top one is a dimarzio super distortion?

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
No sorry.. .this was listed as a 59" classic. Which also made me wonder you know. Can anyone confirm the top one is a dimarzio super distortion?

I don't know that they ever made a 59 classic.

The other one looks like a super distortion to me. They usually have a plastic covered lead, a brass back with "Dimarzio Pickups" and "made in the USA".

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I've never heard of a Gibson 59 Classic either.

Did you get an ohms reading off it? Any 57 Classics I've seen have the PAF sticker, I'll see if I can find my set and see if there are any other identifying marks on them.

=====

no, and those stickers don't stay on very well. There usually is some residue though, at least a corner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unless of course this is a seymour duncan SH1 59???? And was just listed wrong... anybody have an shot of the bottom plate of that SD for comparison? Thanks for identifying the other one as a dimarzio... appreciate it.
Thanks again for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Good to see you here too Marko. It looks like a Gibson 57 Classic without the sticker, but so do many pickups. That's the challenge with the reissue pickups being made from a vairety of people. Since that they are cloning a specific design, many look almost identical and it's hard to know for sure what you are getting.

If I was to take a guess, I'd say it isn't. I pulled a pair of them out of my SG and those stickers would have to be intentionally removed to go missing. There is no reason someone would do that, so I'd call no on them being the Gibsons.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
If I was to take a guess, I'd say it isn't. I pulled a pair of them out of my SG and those stickers would have to be intentionally removed to go missing. There is no reason someone would do that, so I'd call no on them being the Gibsons.

I sort of picked at the sticker on the back of my '57, just out of curiousity, and I can tell you it's on their damn good.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good to see you here too Marko. It looks like a Gibson 57 Classic without the sticker, but so do many pickups. That's the challenge with the reissue pickups being made from a vairety of people. Since that they are cloning a specific design, many look almost identical and it's hard to know for sure what you are getting.

Thanks for the knowledge, much appreciated. In terms of the other pickup, I can't fully read it but it does appear to say Dimarzio Made in the USA. Would you also assume that this is a superdistortion?
P.S. I guess the deal was too good to be true

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge, much appreciated. In terms of the other pickup, I can't fully read it but it does appear to say Dimarzio Made in the USA. Would you also assume that this is a superdistortion?
P.S. I guess the deal was too good to be true
No clue on that one. I replaced a SuperDistortion in a 70s Ibanez V years ago, but I can't remember anything unique about the look. Come to think of it, I have no idea what the hell happened to that pick up. It's a long shot, but if I track it down I'll post some pics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts