The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
I'm one of those strange people who hate how strats play, but love their sound
That's not really strange. I don't like how strats play either but then I am not a fan of the sound either. Nothing wrong with it, just not what I hear in my head when I'm playing. When others play strats it sounds great.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Looks like a cross between an S1 or Marauder and a Brian May. ... and I just hit the part of the video where he mentions those, LOL.

It does sound Stratish. Then again, so does my Sonex Custom (same Norlin period) with the coil tap on (stock this defeats the pup selector; it's always both pups so still humbucking. I've modded it so I can tap each pup individually, but it sounds most strat-like with both tapped).

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Here's my '81 Challenger with a few mods, it started life as a Challenger 1... there's something to be said about an LP with a maple neck, it's a different beast, it plays really well (ebony board) and sounds great (double Dirty Fingers) I love this guitar even though Tedenka told me it was a POS :(

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
wait... Scott Grove said he searched the world for a Challenger and I don't remember him calling or emailing me

DJ if you''re building one and need a tracing for a template/measurements/specs etc, let me know and I'll pass them on to you.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Scott's collection seems pretty impressive.
Yeah, but he runs his mouth a bit too much even when he don't know what he's talking about. I stopped watching his vids when he claimed you don't need to condition (non-laquered) fretboards and it was a con to sell you product. Dunno where he's at, but up in the Great White North, between season changes and forced air heating my boards get dry as heck; once had one crack on me due to dryness-related shrinkage (just hairline; oiling it up resolved the issue).

I did like his vid re what slide works best on bass (he was playing a Gibson G3; same Bill Lawrence pups as the S1 guitar; been meaning to grab some of those).

there's something to be said about an LP with a maple neck, it's a different beast, it plays really well (ebony board) and sounds great (double Dirty Fingers)
You basically turned it into a Sonex Standard .... but with an actual wood body. Love me my Sonex, despite the weight.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
were they not a slab jr body with leftover parts installed?
I suppose if you had Jr blanks with no routing it would work but I don't think it's a Jr body.

The perimeter shape is the same as 70's LP's, but the control/pup routing and neck pocket area are different.

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
Cool guitar for sure but why not just get a strat?
For me, I would prefer this. I just can't find a place in my brain or heart for the strat shape unless it was a JEM. I guess this wasn't a big seller for Gibson as we don't see many of them around.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For me, I would prefer this. I just can't find a place in my brain or heart for the strat shape unless it was a JEM. I guess this wasn't a big seller for Gibson as we don't see many of them around.
It's not that they sold well or even poorly
They were leftover parts cobbled together to get rid of the parts due to the sale of Gibson by Norlin.
Never really a purpose to them, Parts casters really

·
Premium Member
26,949 Posts
Interesting guitar. Short scale and mahogany body, so not very Fender-y in that respect. Maple neck and three single coils, so not very Gibson-y in that respect. Look like Bill Lawrence-era pickups, so neither quintessentially Gibson or Fender in that respect. I'd prefer the electronics of an S-1 for the greater range of tonal options, but what's there is appealing.

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
It's not that they sold well or even poorly
They were leftover parts cobbled together to get rid of the parts due to the sale of Gibson by Norlin.
Never really a purpose to them, Parts casters really
And yet I like them as do other members. I prefer it over a strat.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts

I had an S-1 (stock photo). It was my first real guitar, in 1979. I think it cost me about $350.00. I remember it played really well, sounded good. I replaced the bridge and middle pick up with a Demarzio Super Distortion Plus I bought at Steves music. Probably murdered the pick guard. I was 17.
I traded it for a Japanese P-bass 'cause the bass player needs a bass.
I kept the Bill Lawrence blade single coils for thirty years and put them in a Squire jag, (expertly cut a new pick guard this time). The axe was stolen 6 months later. I'd buy another S-1.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Apparently I can't display a "stock" photo. It's the all maple, three rectangular lucite pick up affair with the V-style diamond headstock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.