The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of people were let go as well apparently. Any Cakewalk users out there that care to chime in? I've just recently upgraded to Sonar Pro from Artist, so I'm really unhappy at this point in time. I've only invested about $250 all in so far though, so I'm but a blip compared to some people who have been using this professionally for years. I want to wish anyone who works (ed) at Cakewalk all the best in their future endeavors.

I've become extremely disenchanted with the Gibson brand, after being a fanboy for almost my entire musical life and career.

GIBSON BRANDS ANNOUCEMENT REGARDING CAKEWALK, INC.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Sad to hear it go...was my first DAW...way way back

But..i didnt know gibson owned it...

Seems like a waste of money more than bad business...theyve had it for only a short time, to cancel it now seems like a waste...
So..gibson cuts it to re-align
A big DAW goes under 'just because'

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not holding my breathe for anything to happen, so I might have to take on a different DAW at some point. Possibly sooner than later. I don't want to waste my time with a soon to be defunct piece of software. I'm new enough at it that I'm not completely screwed if I move to something else at this point. The guy on RecordingRevolution said he figures newbs should consider using the DAW that came packaged with their AI. I have a Steinberg UR22 so maybe I'll start digging around Cubase so some options remain open.

Any suggestions for a PC user of Windows?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I’m a big fan of reaper.. I’m about as far from a pro as it can get, but it’s got a lot of praise from folks who know what they’re doing.

What appealed to me is the low priced license for people who aren’t making a pile of money off their music. It’s updated frequently, comes with some really great plugins, it’s highly customizable...

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
A bunch of people were let go as well apparently. Any Cakewalk users out there that care to chime in? I've just recently upgraded to Sonar Pro from Artist, so I'm really unhappy at this point in time. I've only invested about $250 all in so far though, so I'm but a blip compared to some people who have been using this professionally for years. I want to wish anyone who works (ed) at Cakewalk all the best in their future endeavors.

I've become extremely disenchanted with the Gibson brand, after being a fanboy for almost my entire musical life and career.

GIBSON BRANDS ANNOUCEMENT REGARDING CAKEWALK, INC.
I've been using Cakewalk on my desktop PC for many years and recently bought Sonar Home Studio, which I like very much, to run on my laptop. It was $50US. I'm not worried about this announcement as their products are very stable and in all the years I've used Cakewalk, I've never seen one bug in the product I'm using.

I'm guessing that they are stopping development of their products but will still offer them for sale. Yes, this will result in loss of jobs but developers should have no problems finding new jobs these day as they are in demand. Personally, I'll continue to use Cakewalk for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
I'm not holding my breathe for anything to happen, so I might have to take on a different DAW at some point. Possibly sooner than later. I don't want to waste my time with a soon to be defunct piece of software. I'm new enough at it that I'm not completely screwed if I move to something else at this point. The guy on RecordingRevolution said he figures newbs should consider using the DAW that came packaged with their AI. I have a Steinberg UR22 so maybe I'll start digging around Cubase so some options remain open.

I quite like Studio One from Presonus. They keep it regularly updated and it’s pretty easy to use. They have videos for pretty much every feature.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys. @Guitar101 , I've been milling the idea of just hanging with Sonar as is as well. But unlike yourself, I'm not quite as familiar with the program as you are. I don't plan on turfing it outright, as a number of the features I've run into so far are so rock solid. Having said that, I'm a bit concerned with any changes from Microsoft (or updates) that might lead to an issue with the Sonar family of software. I've found that if development of certain products is discontinued, that is followed shortly by discontinued support for the product from both the main software provider and 3rd party providers as well. That's my take from being a Network Admin. for 15 years, so it can differ product to product. We'll see what happens.

P

·
0 Posts
I found Sonar clunky and hard to learn. In a few weeks with Studio One I was so far ahead of Sonar.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I found Sonar clunky and hard to learn. In a few weeks with Studio One I was so far ahead of Sonar.
Ya, that's another thing that's kinda been rubbing me the wrong way with Sonar. Clunky and hard to learn is a good description. Finding appropriate help that doesn't skip over the basic steps that I need at this point is becoming cumbersome at best. I'm getting a bit tired of F***ing around with the software and trying to learn it. I'm finding Cakewalk's how to video's a good generalization of what you can do, but it seems you need to be a fairly seasoned DAW user to get to the business at hand. I just read a bit ago that Presonus seems to be one of the higher ranked ones, so it's first on my list as alternatives.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Cakewalk 6.0 was my first DAW. 9.0 is still my favourite DAW of all time.

The constant and pricey upgrades got to me and I never really clicked with Sonar. Sad to see Gibson do this again.

I now use Reaper but I cannot figure out midi and find editing audio waves difficult and counter intuitive.

Wonder what would happen if I fired up Cakewalk 9.0 on a new machine?!

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Business 2017:

Have your business buy up another business.
Take our several millions in loans from banks on the business you just bought.
Spend those loans on bonuses and perks for the upper echelon of your business.
Default on the loans and put the business you bought into receivership/bankruptcy.
The business you bought folds, high mucky mucks in your company make millions, banks pass on the costs of bad loans as tax write offs, employees and the public get screwed to the benefit of those at the top of the money food chain.

Rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Business 2017:

Have your business buy up another business.
Take our several millions in loans from banks on the business you just bought.
Spend those loans on bonuses and perks for the upper echelon of your business.
Default on the loans and put the business you bought into receivership/bankruptcy.
The business you bought folds, high mucky mucks in your company make millions, banks pass on the costs of bad loans as tax write offs, employees and the public get screwed to the benefit of those at the top of the money food chain.

Rinse, repeat.
Right out of the Sears playbook... Here is the beginning of the end of that f'up: U.S. Sears dumps stake in Sears Canada

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cakewalk 6.0 was my first DAW. 9.0 is still my favourite DAW of all time.

The constant and pricey upgrades got to me and I never really clicked with Sonar. Sad to see Gibson do this again.

I now use Reaper but I cannot figure out midi and find editing audio waves difficult and counter intuitive.

Wonder what would happen if I fired up Cakewalk 9.0 on a new machine?!
Gibson would sell your machine. Don't do it. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts