The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I would like to know the rationale though...ie how does the mesa brand benefit? seems they already had dealer/distribution deals in place, does gibson give them more exposure?
It's a privately owned company, so the owner (in this case, Randall Smith AFAIK) benefits from getting money from the sale, pretty much
The new owner (Gibson) is free to do whatever it wants with its acquisition

·
Premium Member
10,445 Posts
It's a privately owned company, so the owner (in this case, Randall Smith AFAIK) benefits from getting money from the sale, pretty much
The new owner (Gibson) is free to do whatever it wants with its acquisition
ya but that doesnt tell me the underlying reasons for this deal from Gibsons perspective. there are usually things they can capitalize on, whether it be to expand sales through a larger dealer network, removing a competitor (not the case here obviously), ownership of intellectual property that can be utilized in new ways, etc.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
ya but that doesnt tell me the underlying reasons for this deal from Gibsons perspective. there are usually things they can capitalize on, whether it be to expand sales through a larger dealer network, removing a competitor (not the case here obviously), ownership of intellectual property that can be utilized in new ways, etc.
I think it might have been mentioned before, but Gibson have creditors
If you're buying a company that's making money, it's just a good investment from the creditor's point of view

·
Registered
491 Posts
They started out modding Fenders.

There's a pretty decent history on their Wikipedia: Mesa Boogie - Wikipedia
With Fender, you mean when CBS bough Fender in 1964.
Things are different today, CBS at that
They started out modding Fenders.

There's a pretty decent history on their Wikipedia: Mesa Boogie - Wikipedia
Gibson has extensive experience in the guitar world.
This was not the case with CBS in1964
And we are no longer in 1964.
Gibson is well aware of what happened with CBS Fender.

On the other hand, nobody knows the future of what will happen now.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Gibson made excellent amps, in the US, in the 50s-60s. They didn't sell well though. They had some cool Epiphone amps in recent decades.
Don’t forget LAB Series amps. Solid state but pretty good. Designed by Bob Moog if I recall.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
With Fender, you mean when CBS bough Fender in 1964.
Things are different today, CBS at that

Gibson has extensive experience in the guitar world.
This was not the case with CBS in1964
And we are no longer in 1964.
Gibson is well aware of what happened with CBS Fender.

On the other hand, nobody knows the future of what will happen now.
I'm not quite sure why you're quoting me here. Was this a mistake?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I recall there used to be some Gibson branded amps before...were they made by Gibson or through a partnership?
If you're referring to the '90s Gibson amps (Gold series?), I think they were made by Trace Elliot shortly before Trace was acquired by Gibson in '98.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As far as I’m aware they don’t sell particularly well, which probably leads to some of the stores not keeping them in stock.
I was referring to how only some L&Ms were allowed/able to have them in stock, for example, the Cambridge location. I was told by an employee there it was because the store was a Mesa dealer prior to being bought by L&M.

I think Mesa requires dealers to be spread out a certain amount, geographically, not sure though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
With Gibson distribution being by Yorkville Sound which as we know is owned by L&M, this probably going to give them a big advantage in stocking Mesa gear at all locations. I know my local L&M always has a lot of Mesa gear.
Tube Amp sales are not all that robust these days though compared to guitar sales.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts